Saturday 5 October 2013

Ungroovy, baby!

For various reasons I've spent a lot of time in Central London these last two weeks. The other day I was in Regent Street and a group of American tourists coming towards me were enthusing about Carnaby Street.

"The coolest street in London" one was insisting.

"Say, we're close to Carnaby Street, right?" one asked me.

"Yes," I replied, "just through there. But if it's cool you're after, you're really about forty years too late."

"No way!"

And then, for reasons I cannot fully explain, I broke into an Austin Powers impersonation: "Oh yeah, baby. The swingers got ousted by developers and they're just a bunch of squares, man. It's very ungroovy now, baby."

I got the weirdest stares from the group.

And then it dawned on me. When you're presenting as a London chick, it doesn't do to turn into Hollywood's idea of an eccentric English dude.

"Erm, have fun," I said as I disappeared into the crowd.

Oh, well. Maybe I'm just a lot less self-conscious these days!

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Bwahahahahahahahah, love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you made their day, that they will tell that story to friends when they get home and their friends won't believe them.

    Good work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the butler not give them directions? Honestly, colonials directly addressing a lady about town? One will raise this with the Lords. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I thought it would raise a few giggles! Sue x

    ReplyDelete