Sunday 29 March 2015

The sheer variety of it all

My two essays in February about being trans generated a lot of interest:

http://suerichmond.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/how-many-of-us-are-there.html

http://suerichmond.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/does-being-trans-really-wreck-your-life.html

Today I want to illustrate how being trans cuts through every social distinction - class, race, profession, income, location, marital status, etc.

It’s often struck me, when out with my TGirlfriends, just what a diverse bunch we are. Yes, we all have this one thing in common - we present ourselves as women. But apart from that, we all have very different lives.

It’s often been said to me by TGirls who’ve been around a while that they have found that, apart from all liking to wear skirts, they’ve often felt no other connection with some of the other TGirls they meet. I know what they mean, although I feel there’s more common ground if you dig a bit deeper. The sheer variety of social backgrounds in any group of trans people is amazing. I can recall meetings when a bunch of girls have included, just for example, a printer, an astrophysicist, a photographer, a builder, a surveyor, a railway engineer, a car salesperson, a graphic designer, a translator, a diver, an artist, a bus driver … and so forth. Some are married and have their wives with them; some have kids, others not; some are older, some younger; some richer, some poorer. And they come from all over. And I think, where on earth else except a trans event would you find such a diverse bunch of people in the same room?

You just wouldn't believe where these women go and what they get up to in the daytime! (Tiff's photo)



That illustrates what I mean about transness cutting through all human distinctions and which I feel is good evidence that this life is not, as detractors insist, some lifestyle choice. If it was, you’d expect a similar background in those choosing the lifestyle. Instead of which, anyone at all can be affected.

Being trans is at least a great way to meet people! And look stunning at the same time.

Sue x

8 comments:

  1. And you always look stunning... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very sweet of you. You're not so bad yourself. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Wow Sue that picture was from a while ago. My first proper night out too. Our diverse friends are always stimulating to chat too.

    Bobby xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it really your first? I hadn't realised (or I'd forgotten - it's me age, dear). I just chose the photo a bit randomly as I felt it illustrated the point well. Sue x

      Delete
  3. Some familiar faces in there. Well, not the faces of familiars, that would be a bit Dark Arts, wouldn't it :-)

    We do seem to have quite a variety of people, don't we. Still, be very dull if we all worked in IT ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I knew someone would spot the deliberate omission. Well, I picked a dozen different professions I could think of that I easily recall friends having ... and the rest work in IT! Actually, if anyone out there wants a computer problem sorting, just ask a TGirl. Or rather an ITGirl - not to be confused with an It Girl. Mind you, you could be both. See, told I you it was varied! Sue x

      Delete
  4. Wait, you're telling me there are some who don't work in IT. :)

    It's true the more you get out the more its clear there is no socio-economic strata free of the trans person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it comes as a shock, doesn't it? Lol Thanks for the comment, Lucie, which I think is true. Sue x

      Delete