Thursday 9 August 2018

Summer outdoors

There's been a small amount of rain now but this extraordinarily sunny summer continues. It's been quiet workwise and I have been taking time out to explore. I now doubt I will ever be able to simply put on makeup and go out manifesting my female appearance whenever I want to, as I used to do when I started this blog, because of the risk of skin irritation, but I make do with more androgynous clothing now. It's not ideal, not what I want, but it keeps me connected to my femininity even if people take me as a guy. I hate this limbo I'm in at the moment but something is better than nothing between occasional fully-feminine outings.

I like staying at home in London over the summer. Many people are away and it's mainly just me and the tourists around the place. Except that I go off the beaten track.

Just a few places in Greater London visited recently include Putney, Kingston and Maida Vale.

Wonderful mackerel sky over Putney Lower Common
The Clattern Bridge over the Hogsmill River in Kingston-upon-Thames. This side of the bridge dates from 1175, making it by far the oldest bridge in Greater London and one of the oldest in Britain. Note the heron by the right-hand arch. The heron population seems to have vastly increased in the Thames Valley in recent years and this is due to cleaner water supporting more fish, including eels.
The Saxon Coronation Stone now outside the town hall in Kingston. Many of the Saxon kings of Wessex, including Alfred the Great, parked their royal bottoms on this block when being crowned. Why such a significant historic artifact is simply left out in the rain with little signage or ceremony I will never know.
The Regents Canal near Little Venice covered with algae that have been thriving in this hot summer

I have a few more outings planned. And I hope to have a full femme day this Saturday.

Sue x


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those hidden gems. Funny how we have such history just lying about the place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess history does just lie about the place. Sometimes a great fuss is mad of it and at others it's just part of the background. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Interesting pics. There are some ponds around here which look a bit like the green canal! And I seem to remember visiting (but not taking any pix) of the bridge above.

    Love the travelogue...

    And I can commiserate on the androgynous clothing...since that's what I wear every day. Sometimes the public interprets me as a girl, sometimes not. But it's the best I can do at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy. Sadly, the public never sees me as a girl unless I have my hair and makeup done properly. Sue x

      Delete