Pages

Friday, 7 August 2026

New hair

 I am looking for honest opinions.

I went to the London Hair Clinic a couple of weeks ago. It's where Trendco has moved to, just behind the bustle of Oxford Street and its vast stores. In the 2010s I used to visit the old Trendco shop in Kensington every few months as I was experimenting with my hairstyle, and also living most of my time as female, so I got through a lot of wigs. I got to know Michael and the staff there quite well.

People who need wigs are people who can be quite self-conscious and upset as to why they are in such a clinic. The staff are therefore very considerate and professional. Many thanks, therefore, to Annie and the friendly team on reception and to my consultant Fabrice for a good experience.

This machine-made wig by Noriko in a style called Carrie has been my favourite option these past 15 years and I have always worn it in dark browns similar to my natural hair. The "cappuccino" colour below has been a good shade, but I have preferred a slightly lighter "coffee latte" in recent years. This style frames my face well, has a natural look, a good length and playful flicks and curls. Maintenance is not too difficult either.

 


Although Carrie is still made, it's no longer available in these shades . Fabrice therefore suggested "ginger brown" as being quite close, and that is what I settled for. Here it is in the lighting at home. 

 




It does have a slightly reddish tinge to it. I'll have to see what it looks like in natural light in due course.

I'd value your honest opinions on this and on the other options below. I have been wanting to try something new, as I expressed earlier this year, something that contemporary women of my age prefer to opt for; or something more usual in the Mediterranean where I now live.

Fabrice suggested the following shorter and more layered style as being among the "contemporary women of my age" choices. It's also by Noriko and the style is called Briar.

 

As for the "Mediterranean option", I explained that I was looking for a much darker, much longer and more free-flowing style as you see in, say, Southern Italy or Spain (the sort of hair you dance a tarantella or clash castanets to! Music optional, of course.) You can see how tanned I am and we're only half way through the summer. At home now I've put the right shade of tights on, a much darker "suntan" than the shade I wore in London, and this is my current skin tone, as you can see by comparing it to my arms. I've had to go a shade darker in my foundation makeup, too. So I think I'd like a shade and style of hair that's found more often in my new location. (In a similar way to shoes: these are the cute, soft pink trainers I bought in London. Every London woman seems to be wearing something like this right now. But they're less visible in the Med where women still seem to prefer more traditional leather styles in winter and open styles in summer.)

 

So here is Fabrice's recommendation, Noriko's Angelica in the shade "espresso", the darkest brown, almost black. 

 

Fabrice felt this wig was too long and could do with trimming. I think the length is fine. 

So, my personal views on the three styles are these. The advantage of my current Carrie style is that it makes me look feminine, hiding more masculine features that I don't like. It's my "safe" style, dependable and appropriate. I am unsure of the shorter, layered Briar as it exposes too much of my not-so-feminine face, although the colour and style are right for women of my age in the 2020s. The long, dark Angelica is, in my view, just what I am looking for for that change to South European more natural free-at-heart femininity. 

These latter two have been noted by the hair salon but I am not going to buy them without being sure I want either, hence my asking opinions. Two female friends I showed these pictures to had some good advice but I'd appreciate honest views from you readers on all three styles, even negative ones.

Thank you.

Sue x 

11 comments:

  1. Personally, I'd go for Briar, but possibly because I think favour shorter styles work better as your get older. I also like the fact that it looks, under that lighting at least, as a subtle mixture of shades rathe than a single overall colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Susie, and for your followup email. Good observations and reasoning on this. Much appreciated. Sue xx

      Delete
  2. It's hard to tell about Briar 'cos you didn't include a full-on facial shot, so it's difficult to see how well (or not) it frames your face. I think I've only ever seen you in Carrie in the flesh, so to speak, and always thought it was a good style on you. The dark Angelica, I would agree, makes you look *very* "Mediterranean"! Length? Your choice, I think it depends on how much Fabrice wanted to lop off it! But I prefer longer hair on women anyway (mine always grew outwards rather than down, but it's at my shoulders now, which I'm delighted about!)
    One other observation: you're smiling in Angelica. You're not in Briar. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point about the smile.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Roz. Good observations. You spotted the giveaway smile.

      My photographer had trouble working the old-fashioned camera, hence no frontal shot. I mean, as if making someone watch the birdie and explode a magnesium bomb while you crank the shutter under a tarp is hard. Men are just not as handy as they used to be!

      Sue xx

      Delete
  3. I'm going to side with Roz on this (although she is mistaken about having seen you in Carrie. That was Sissy Spacek). The Angelica gives you a very Mediterranean look.That will help you blend in nicely on the Riviera. And as Roz says you are smiling, so what you saw in the mirror must have pleased you. I think you look great in Angelica. Err perhaps I should rephrase that. You look great wearing the Angelica wig. Noriko are my go to brand too.

    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your useful thoughts, Dee. And for the cheeky humour.

      I'll let you know about my decision in due course.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  4. "...suggested "ginger brown" ..."

    FWIW, that one as it's a good colour on you (IMO) and in a style you like already. I've read a few times that women go lighter in hair colour as they age.

    Personally, I'd keep away from longer 'dos, as they can drag a person's face down, they can be too hot, and they're a pain with tangling/wear.

    All that said, it's your body, so you do you! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. You've given me some very practical issues to think about. Much appreciated. Sue xx

      Delete
  5. I agree with Roz in that it's hard to compare objectively with the shorter one as no front on picture. But it doesn't seem as feminine as your usual or the longer one.

    The longer one is going to be a pain, so I wouldn't see that as an every day one, I find with my much longer do these days that it ends up in a pony tail with hair clips most of the time, otherwise I struggle to get through the day without eating hair all the time :)
    But if your budget will stretch, it might be good to have it for special days - as others have noted you are smiling in those photos so clearly you liked.

    Izzy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Izzy. You hair is fab so I value your views and practical advice here and I'll give your comments some thought. Sue xx

      Delete