Sunday 5 April 2015

When surgery goes wrong (again), and when trans life goes right

This may seem like a very odd subject for Easter Sunday, but it’s just that I have time to write and this is on my mind.

My aim in this post is to inform about negative consequences and encourage positive ones and general trans visibility. Those who have suffered are anonymous here and have their privacy preserved. Nevertheless I do feel that their experiences should be notified to the general community so that people can be well informed before making choices.

In summer 2013 I told you that a friend of mine had been to Charing Cross Hospital, Britain’s main centre for gender surgery, but things had not gone well - she had unravelled and got a serious infection: http://suerichmond.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/when-surgery-goes-wrong.html

I recently saw another friend there who had just had her gender operation and within a few days of being sent home was back at the hospital being treated for a similar infection.

ALL of those I have seen at the hospital or with whom I have discussed gender surgery in detail have suffered serious fails: operations that went wrong, corrective surgery (which in one case also failed), abdominal infections and so forth. I don’t think this is coincidence. And I am sorry for those trans women and men who would like a physical relationship but can’t because of the inadequacies and failings of their surgery.

It is clear that more of this surgery goes wrong than is made public and I am concerned that this issue is played down by some trans advocates and support groups. I would say again to those contemplating surgery: this is not a simple procedure but major surgery involving serious physical trauma. The large majority of trans people don’t go for it and whilst this is likely to be mainly because the strength of their transness is not as great as that of those living as their preferred gender, there are some of us who are having real doubts that surgery is the best option. I’m not here to persuade or suggest, merely to inform you that surgery may cause you major problems, as witness my personal friends here.

Now to a positive note on transition and living a trans life. I must mention a few other friends who are doing wonderful things with their lives despite all the odds against them (and sorry if I embarrass you girls but I think you deserve praise):

- My friend Kimberley (no longer her name) who has featured a lot in my blog over the years and who will be living and working full time as female as of this week. A beautiful woman with great prospects. Good luck, honey.

- My friend Stella who again appears many times in my blog under her proper name and previous (experimental?) ones and who, from shy and nervous beginnings, is not only living and working full time and representing the trans community at employment fairs but is now a candidate in the forthcoming national election. It would be wonderful to have a transgender member of parliament in the UK as there has been in other places like Poland. Could that MP be Stella? I’d be thrilled if it was. You go, girl, and I’ll be listening to your result on election night. By the way, she also now has a smoochy boyfriend, which is a lovely thing. Here’s her campaign blog: http://greenstell.blogspot.co.uk/

- My friend Roz whom I mentioned last autumn http://suerichmond.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/roz-white-transgender-writer.html who is now ‘out’ to her family who’ve taken it well and has recently launched a new edition of her transgender novel, The Sisterhood, and is offering editorial services. Roz writes so well and truthfully about the trans condition.

- Two bloggers, Lynn Jones and Hannah Gotta, who write such excellent blogs about the genuine realities of life as married TGirls http://yatgb.blogspot.co.uk/ and https://hannahgotta.wordpress.com/ . Both blogs contain such insightful truths expressed in very different ways. I think I’ll add my fun friend Bobby’s blog to this list as she’s just been highlighted on TCentral (and quite rightly, too) https://thebobbysoxblog.wordpress.com/. They’re on my blogroll to the right, of course. (By the way, these girls all look gorgeous, too.)

I’ll stop there or I’ll have to list all my friends because they all live amazing trans lives in one way or another.

You see, it was Transgender Day of Visibility on 31 March and it pained me not to be visible, but so many of my friends are, either because they are already living in the gender that’s right for them or because they are visible in public or online. The more of us who are out there in whatever small way we can be then the more we will be accepted as a regular part of society. I’m thrilled that trans people are standing for parliament but I will be even more thrilled when the fact that parliamentary candidates are transgender is less of a talking point than their policies. Little by little we’ll get there.




The is Sue Richmond reporting from Westminster...

Sue x

17 comments:

  1. Babe, you're too kind!! (giggle) You should include yourself in this since you've been in the van for so many of us for so many years now - and will be again! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being wise to the risks seems a good idea. Plan for the worst, hope for the best! :-)

    Thanks for the kind words re: the blog. I can't believe it and yours have been running for so long.

    PS: Talking of risk, do be careful when having your photo taken near a major landmark. These areas are always the subject of alien invasions or other such malarkey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind. Your blog has been running for a decade; mine is still a toddler of three and a half.

      And thanks for the warning. I think 650 weird unwanted beings are going to be invading the Houses of Parliament just after May 7th!

      Sue x

      Delete
  3. While many of us were faffing around in the shadows you were the one with the torch, way out in front. You showed many of us that we could be ourselves and our fear shouldn't hold us back. You helped me along the way to my life in the sun. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very moved by your beautiful comment, Becca. You've been an inspiration to me, too, you know. And I guess this is the point, that we assist and inspire one another in our own ways in this unusual life of ours. Sue x

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue. A bit late, but I'm posting on T-Central. Posts like this one need to be seen. You've done a good job of balancing the good with the bad in your examples. I have several good friends who have had to go back under the knife to fix problems that were done wrong the first time. Some have had to go back three and four time. I loved reading your success stories too!

    Calie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Calie. Wow! Featured twice in a month. Mustn't let fame go to my head! Sue x

      Delete
  5. I'm honoured! Sorry I didn't see this earlier :-)

    Stella xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve every praise, Stella. Congratulations on your creditable result, increasing your party's share of the vote, and also showing that trans people visibly do things in public life. Sue x

      Delete
  6. It provide such a nice detail. Thanks for sharing this valuable information regarding gender change surgery. Read more information about the service of Transgender Surgery in Vizag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Transgender Surgery in Vizag gives transgender people a body that aligns with their gender. It may involve procedures on the face, chest or genitalia. Common transgender surgery options include: Facial reconstructive surgery to make facial features more masculine or feminine.visit our website for more information

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you can also get the best male to female surgery in vizag at an affordable cost by visiting VJ's Transgender Clinic and getting the best treatment from the professionals in this kind of treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are seeking the best Male to Female Surgery in Vizag, then I recommend you to visit Vj's Transgender Clinic. They used modern medical technology and provide the finest surgery at a sustainable cost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I accept advertising posts if they are relevant to the subject, I'll not be accepting any more about surgery in Vizag. Sue x

    ReplyDelete