Saturday 16 September 2017

Mixed fortunes, mixed gender

I haven't posted for a month because of domestic problems (mainly involving plumbers and engineers) and because I really needed some time out. It's been stressful all right.

Things are getting mended at home - society's requirement seems to be that girls are really not good at heavy domestic maintenance and should leave it to the men. Now I was born with a man's body (and birth certificate to prove it!) but frankly my hunky bod has its limits in terms of energy and competence, so the professionals have been tramping over the Richmond estate for a while now.

I tend to write posts on separate themes so I will go into more detail another time about the relaxing break I took in androgynous mode in the ancient places and trackways of rural Wiltshire, which helped clear my mind and reduce the stress, although as a townie I'm really not used to such long walks and was pretty tired, though it meant I slept like a log!

A small part of the vast Avebury stone circle


I also went to stay with one of my sisters. Again, long walks with her along the River Avon around the city of Bath. But this time I was in brother mode, which requires making up flat-pack furniture because that's a man's job, right? But it was when she revealed that she is a member of a religious group and is campaigning against LGBT rights that I felt very depressed. That merits a separate post as it's a Big Thing.

My work gets very quiet in August and picks up again in September, so I have been easing into it with a gentle start. I work from home so at least I can dress how I please. The recent stresses have made me pick very feminine floral dresses and skirts these last two weeks.

Sigh! How many of us trans people spend our time picking our presentation to match our environment in order to feel safe? It's fine to dress and be ourselves at home alone, it's OK if toned down and alone in public, it's impossible with family. What a lousy way to live.

Sue x

10 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed Avebury and the other ancient sites in that area. Oh, and the local tea rooms too :-)

    As to your closing paragraph, I feel your pain. Much as that's any help. Perhaps a better thing to say would be that you have my sympathy and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More on Avebury another day. Thanks for your sympathy, which is much needed. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Oh, my...Bath. I was there back in the early 1980's. Lovely town. Would like to visit again...unfortunately they haven't built the railroad bridge across the Atlantic yet!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avebury - it's along time since I've been there. I've been de-stressing by visiting a transwoman friend in Suffolk and 'playing' the man as we have visited places ... it's a funny old world! Hopefully, I will get a bit of outdoor time when I'm on Dartmoor next month.

    It is so upsetting to know that someone who is close to you is so against the very thing that you are. I'm not sure how I would react if my sister ever espoused anti-LGBT ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, I hope you get some girl time as well. Upset is a mild word for how I feel right now. The next post expands on this. Sue x

      Delete
  4. Oh babe... huge hugs xxx FWIW I brought my "leather" miniskirt to Glasgow and it was suggested that it might be a bit "provocative" for wearing out to ASDA... I hope things resolve themselves at home, and as for the family... well... I suppose at least you know the lie of the land, however hateful it might be. Stay safe, see you soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie. I will cash in on that hug when you visit. Sue x

      Delete