Thursday 25 April 2013

A lesson in beauty

I've been delighted to be working this week on a project involving a beauty product. The 'ordinary' women who have been selected to promote it look absolutely radiant.

It's not just the product that makes them beautiful, of course, but the delicate makeovers they have had before being interviewed, and the professional hair care.

But not even that. The fact that they are being pampered and are receiving minor celebrity treatment is also obviously boosting their self-esteem. But mainly it's their being allowed to speak for themselves as valued people which is bringing out their inner confidence and innate self-worth that, in turn, promotes their physical beauty - the smiles, the sparkling eyes, the healthy features, the enthusiasm. Not all are convinced by or like the product, but that's just fine in this exercise. The honesty is refreshing and the openness brings out the genuine side of their natures.

Why am I considering this? Partly because - and let's be honest here - since I am still attracted mainly to women, they please my eye. But it's also because they have given new inspiration to my own look and boosted my aspiration to womanhood. Mainly, though, it's because it shows that valuing someone and treating them well is the best way to bring out their true beauty and worth. I have been accepted and treated better as a trans woman in public than as a guy, and that in turn has boosted my confidence and therefore my attractiveness, which in turn promotes acceptance. It's a virtuous spiral.

Treat people well. The dividends will be greater than your investment.

Sue x

1 comment:

  1. The pampering sounds fab. Not from a 'me too' vibe, but that they got so much out of it. Good stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete