Tuesday 14 August 2018

The seven-year blog




It’s seven years to the day since I started this blog, my aim having always been to express my thoughts on being transgender, and also to encourage other trans people to be visible by posting my adventures and the reception I have met with in public.

It’s been seven years of great highs but some miserable lows too, with delight and success countered by trouble and stalls. Being trans is, let’s face it, quite a challenge that, for virtually all of us, is a substantial addition to the ups and downs of everyday life.

With so many threats to trans people being able to lead authentic lives in the last year or two – threats from politicians, radical feminists, religious bullies, to name a few – it’s essential for the trans community to make it known that we exist, that we are genuine, and that we are likeable, worthwhile and regular members of society. Visibility – online, in media and in the real world – seems to me to be an important promoter of acceptance.

Well, that’s enough philosophy! In past years I’ve analysed Blogger’s stats to get an idea of what sort of posts are the most enjoyed and readable. But this time I’m not going to link to the most popular posts. You can select your own favourite from the archive list to the right. It is clear that people who read my blog most enjoy the occasions when lots of TGirls are out on the town. Importantly, though, there is also a lot of interest in gender surgery issues and, to an extent, my own struggle with ill-health that has badly affected my trans life and visibility.

Thank you to my 44 subscribers, including Jonathan Tait who subscribed this year. I’ve added "Male Femme", Jonathan's blog, to the blogroll. It's well worth reading.

Thanks also to all who have made comments. Lynn Jones and Mandy Sherman deserve special mention both for their comments and excellent blogs. Thanks also to TCentral and Feedspot for their promotion of trans blogging.

Thanks for reading. Tune in again.

Sue x

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words! And do not worry...I'll continue reading your posts.

    In case I never told you...that pic above is fabulous!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the blogging anniversary. I think seven years it's very impressive. Thanks for the kind words as here's to many more posts from you.

    L x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. Your blog has been going regularly for a very impressive length of time. Congratulations to you too. Sue x

      Delete
  3. Oh, I remember that pic!

    Thank you, Sue, for providing such thoughtful and insightful writing about transgender living, as well as linking to others. I'm afraid that my blog attempts stutter and then stop, but I haven't given up yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki. Don't give up on imparting your experience to others, by blog or other means. Sue x

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on reaching seven years, Sue. And thanks for thanking me and adding my blog to your blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One little thing though - and I've added this in a separate comment so you can delete it afterwards if you want - could you possibly change the "his" to "their"?

      My feelings on this were actually a surprise to me. My life is such that I almost never hear people referring to me with gendered pronouns, but I've accepted rare occurrences of male pronouns in a sort of "well, sort of, if not quite" kind of way. But reading "his" above now, I was struck with an immediate and very strong feeling of "no!". Something for me to think about there I guess.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jonathan. Actually, pronouns are so impersonal that I'd rather use your name instead. Sue x

      Delete
  5. Many belated congrats and here's to many more years x

    ReplyDelete