Sunday 9 August 2020

Good stuff miscellany

Things are still not good in the world so I'm keeping things positive here with a variety of items relating to this week that should be fun to read.


Prides past

Over the past few weeks I've been reminiscing on the period ten years ago when I first got out into the real world as a woman, thus fulfilling my lifelong dreams. Today happens to mark the tenth anniversary of Brighton Pride 2010. By far the largest pride celebration in the UK, the whole town comes out for the fun, whether they're gay or not (let's face it, if you're not alternative in some way in Brighton, you don't really belong!) It also attracts people from far and wide, like myself.

It was my first long-distance trip by train as Sue and was a memorable day: the parade, the funfair, the stalls and stages in the park, the whole atmosphere. Here's a photo of the friends I met up with: Kimberley, Saffy, Angie, me and Lucie, taken by Helena (separate on the right). All still good friends, though sadly it was the last time I saw Lucie (the demigirl from Wiltshire who writes the award-winning Girl Who Should Know Better blog: Girl Who Should Know Better). If you're reading this, Lucie, we need to meet up again when I'm next in the UK after this craziness ends.

In a year with little or no Gay/Trans Pride events, it's been good to look back on this memorable one.


Bugs Bunny is 80

As a lot of fellow trans bloggers have noted, the US postal service has commemorated Bugs Bunny's 80th birthday with a set of stamps including two where Bugs is dressed as a ... I was about to say woman, but Valkyrie and Mermaid don't fit that description. Bugs did so much crossdressing in his cartoons, usually to confuse or falsely seduce his pursuers (mainly Elmer Fudd), that's it's a significant part of his character. The joy of animation is its ability to be very subversive without causing offence, and making any who complain look dumb! ("You're concerned that a fictitious cartoon rabbit wearing a dress will subvert youth? A fictitious cartoon wabbit, I mean rabbit!? Buddy, you need to see a shrink!") But to us he was a bit of an icon for that. For real authenticity, the stamp should wolf whistle when you lick the back!


Trans history

As my last post showed, I have been taking time to look into trans history and imagery. I mean way back, to ancient times, when Hercules lived as a woman for two years and Achilles hid in a girls' school to avoid being sent to Troy! And through all the ages after. I'll put up more pictures and links in due course. Those who say the trans phenomenon is some new fad have no idea what they are talking about.

Hercules (left) enslaved by Queen Omphale (right, who's taken his club) and forced by her to be her maid




Photos

I'm not travelling at present, and frankly nor is anyone else much, what with this Covid disease around. But I am trying to take decent photos of my surroundings to record the plants, the panorama, the sky. It's rather pretty here in the Med at this time of year. Even a few of me.

Plants in the condo garden
Blue sea
Moody moon
Palm grove on the promenade
Seen outside a sandwich shop
Lounging around


So, a selection of items this week with a broad appeal.

Sue x






5 comments:

  1. Wascally wabbit! Twicked old Elmur into qwestioning the patwiarchy. ;-)

    Ten years since that Pride. Wow, that's quite a gap. Are you still in touch with any of the group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, yes that little group are all very good friends and we'd be meeting again this summer if it weren't for Covid. I've not seen Lucie since but she's in the blogosphere. Sue x

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS! I remember those cartoons where both Bugs and Daffy Duck crossdressed in several cartoons. It brought back fond memories. I had to giggle a bit about how you marveled at who would attend Pride events. I know over here in the states, people from all walks in life come to these fairs and never seem to have a problem dealing with the LGBT community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Since you're from the States, I have to say that your country has the knack of producing some of the best entertainment ever in the way of cartoons: Disney, Hanna Barbera, Warner Bros, Simpsons... I spent so many happy hours as a kid watching the inventive and crazy and funny adventures of all those weird characters and the joy never leaves you. Sue x

      Delete
    2. Oh My Goodness! You have really hit the memory rewind with all those companies that produced our Saturday morning cartoon...LOL! After reading the names, I had flashbacks to Top Cat, the Flintstones, The Jetsons and many more. And that was just the Hanna Barbera line up.

      Delete