Monday 21 June 2021

Wedding dresses - a longing

 One of my sisters has just sent me photos of her recent wedding. I have to say she looks lovely in an off-the-shoulder chiffon gown.

Since she no longer needs the dress, maybe I can borrow it! 😁

I know that wedding dresses can be quite a thing with a large number of MtF trans people - there are whole trans wedding parties to go to, with dozens of brides! - but I have never owned a wedding dress. (For the matter of that, I don't have a maid's uniform either ... some will now start to question whether I am an authentic TGirl!)

When I was 15 - and I felt this was so wrong and bold, yet somehow so necessary, almost a trans rite of passage - I tried on my mother's wedding dress. She was really slim on her wedding day as I wasn't able to do it up all the way even though I wasn't full-grown! But it did look and feel amazing, a very special kind of garment for a very special day. I stared at myself in the mirror for a very long time with that dress on.

Like every girl, I've always dreamt of my wedding day. It's not happened yet but it's not ruled out. When that day comes, I will have my own gorgeous dress. 

 

Photo: Benigno Hoyuela

Yes, I will be wearing the dress. I have promised myself that. OK, I realise my wedding day plans have already reduced the number of eligible spouses! But we are looking for that special person, after all. The one who appreciates the girl in the dress for who she is.

Anyway, I wish my sister every happiness.

 

A dip in the archives

 Possibly the last wedding I attended was nearly ten years ago: I love a good wedding. That was a nice weekend event.

Recently I looked back at photos of Dawn and Kirstie's wedding, both trans girls. Both brides looked lovely and very happy. It's so good to know that same-sex and trans weddings are everyday events now.

The wedding dress weekend is no longer a preserve of the trans community either but is something women generally seem to be getting into more. A hundred-odd years ago both womanless and manless weddings (and other events) were common in colleges and institutions segregated by sex. A photography exhibition I saw three years ago presented a remarkable insight into this alternative culture. Not to be confused with the 'womenless wedding' charity events of the Southern US which were more for entertainment, these were the option of persons needing an opportunity for gender flexibility.

Photo: Charisse Kenion
 

Sue x

 

Cari lettori italiani

Oggi qualche parola sugli abiti da sposa. Come tutte, ho sempre sognato di come sarebbe stato il mio abito ...

Sue x 


No comments:

Post a Comment