Wednesday 12 June 2024

Pride and preparation

 This is Pride month and I'm pleased to hear of all the various events happening round the world. I notice in Rome there is a whole train on the metro painted in Pride colours, and I was pleasantly surprised to see in my old home town of Twickenham, UK, that the main crossing in the middle of the High Street was a huge rainbow flag.


So if you're participating in an event this month, do enjoy it.

I'm preparing to welcome my trans friend Stella and her wife who are coming to stay this weekend. Stella and I did a whole bunch of stuff together in England, such as the TGirl bars at the 2011 and 2013 Erotica shows, and various events in London and Brighton promoting trans visibility. 

Stella (left) and the girls on Waterloo Bridge in the centre of London
 

Tributes

My friend Ann Drogyny passed away last month. I had too many other commitments to be able to go to her funeral but I hear it was a colourful event, just as she would have wanted. 

There was a last laugh. Apparently, because of traffic, the hearse was 45 minutes late. So Ann, who was always punctual in life, arrived late for her own funeral. That final irony would have tickled her!



I note also the passing of Lynn Conway, trans pioneer, who did something that I don't understand with computer stuff but who is nevertheless one of the better-known members of the trans community. Pink News obituary. May she rest in peace.

Rest in peace also, Stacy Novak, long associated with Transliving in the UK, its events and magazine.

Sue x


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend passing and FWIW, I think you're right about her enjoying the irony around the funeral car, bless her.

    Happy Pride month and wooo, do we need it at the moment! 🌈✊ I think it's fantastic to see the flags and rainbow crossings appear. Visibility and solidarity are so needed right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I was quite chuffed to see the rainbow crossing. Hope Pride in the UK goes well and here's to a less phobic future there, or rather a return to the progress we had been making. Sue x

      Delete