Monday 29 July 2024

So proud

 Just a quick note to say how good it's been to hear from various friends about the pride events that took place this past weekend. 


Grace went to London Trans Pride in Regent Street, Piccadilly and Park Lane and it seems to have been a well-attended event. I notice blogger Claire did too and has a lot of photos: Trans Pride London.

Tania went to Nottingham Pride where, among other things, they boast the world's largest trans flag. So did Lynn who has an enthusiastic post about it: Notts Pride 2024. Glad it went well and, again, was well-attended.

Violetta went to Pride in Innsbruck, Austria, and she's just posted about it (in German but there is a translation button to the right of her blog if you'd like it in English or, indeed, Uzbek if that's your tongue): Innsbruck Pride.

Since moving to Italy I've been getting to know the trans groups Arcigay and Crossdresser Italia and there was a good turnout at Pride in Reggio Calabria, right at the very opposite and of the peninsula to me, which has always been said to have the most beautiful promenade in the entire country, looking across the strait to Sicily and Mount Etna in eruption. It's even prettier with a lot of pride colours, I think. One video of the event: 

 

All very uplifting. One day, these events won't have to be a protest, just a general celebration of diversity that everyone feels they belong to. (Hey, you can't help being cis! You were likely born that way.)

Sue x

6 comments:

  1. Sue -

    I hope to see Pride movements evolve into being just that - a celebration of the group, and not as something that bothers people (save, when a street is shut down for a parade.) Being a member of the community, I am always sensitive to the risks involved by being out - especially in many parts of the USA. So I am glad that people fly the rainbow flag, as in unity there is strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue - Please drop me a private email, as I have some questions how TG people are treated in the UK and in the EU (Germany, Scandinavia, France, Spain and Italy) that you might help me find some answers....

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I look forward to the day when Pride just turns into a celebration of diversity for all.
      Marian, I don't have your email and can't seem to spot it on your blog if it's there. Would you like to let me know it so I can contact you. If you are worried about security I guess you could give it in a comment here and then I can delete your comment once I've got the address.
      Sue x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Just a few years ago, a few people were saying things such as "Do we still need Pride nowadays?" or "It's just a big party, isn't it?"

    After a decade or more of a circus government and toxic media reporting, LGBTQ+ rights are under attack.

    Perhaps, as when Pride started, it's needed to keep the community visible, raise awareness (including the good work by allies), and provide reassurance that we're here to stay 🏳️‍🌈

    Unfortunately I missed Tania on the day. There are some videos on YouTube showing the march, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, yes I do remember comments in the past about Pride having largely achieved its aims ... and yet here we are still having to engage what is largely a protest. Sue x

      Delete