Thursday 1 August 2024

Wuthering heats

They're late this year, but the hot days have finally arrived and it's been hard to sleep. Although daytime temperatures of around 35°C (that's 95°F) are OK, it's when the temperature doesn't fall at night that it becomes a problem and I don't sleep so well. A sea breeze normally builds up in the evening but when the sea surface gets too hot (it's 28°C now, like the Caribbean) then that doesn't happen and we suffer tropical nights. Such nights just aren't good for the beauty regime!

I've been spending most of my time this week in my bikini, the same as everybody else! And no I won't be sharing a photo!

To cool down, I've been making melon sorbet again, or rather melon water-ice, which is even nicer with some cold prosecco. 



A sorbet is really a water-ice or granita that's been churned smooth, whereas my item is simply frozen as I don't have a machine (or scullery maid) to do the churning. 

It's easy enough to make: 

Squeeze juicy fruits like oranges or melons (I grate the latter as I like the pulp), or any soft fruit, and set aside. 

Measure how much juice you have. You now need as much sugar syrup as that, which you can make from simply adding granulated sugar to water in equal measures and boiling until it becomes a clear syrup.

Let it cool and then add it to the fruit juice. Sometimes a bit of lemon juice can add some fruity tang that may otherwise be lost to sweetness.

Mix it up and put it in the freezer. It'll take about 24 hours to set fully.

Yum. Just right for a hot day. A full of Vitamin C. So it's a health food!


The good stuff

Just adding more to the summer season of things that are positive in the world of gender fluidity. Such as the Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever events around the world. Celebrating not the Emily Brontรซ novel but the Kate Bush song. Just turn up in a long red dress and do the moves. Try this example from last weekend at Margate, England. 

 


I've always spotted a TGirl or two in the crowd at these events. And don't tell me there is any man out there who doesn't want to dress up as Kate Bush. As you can see, a beard can compliment a red dress quite nicely. Who cares that the choreography is a little unco-ordinated. This is for people to enjoy themselves.

On the subject of public dances, I have never been much of a fan of traditional English morris dances with hankies and bells. ("Try everything once, except incest and morris dancing," Sir Thomas Beecham famously said). The border morris tradition, though, is a different matter, with disguise and hidden identity being an essential part of it. Being a former resident of Devon, I support the Beltane Border Morris group who have a lively modern approach to an ancient tradition and I'm pleased to note a couple of non-binary dancers in their team. As is tradition. Their spooky and wild whirlings on Dartmoor at summer solstice or on the seashore at sunset are a unique sight. Try this recent offering from the beautiful town of Lyme Regis, Dorset.



Stay cool.

Sue x


7 comments:

  1. Look. I won't mention the Babooshka costume if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how Morris graduated from skulls, antlers horn and tatters to hankies and bells (who remembers The Cloggies comic strip?) but the old stuff still has a primal power to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, indeed. You can see from Beltane's website how very ancient a lot of what they do is. I didn't know about the Cloggies but I have now informed myself and I'm in no doubt there are a lot of petty rules and expectations in many local dance and social organisations. This group seems to channel a much more bacchic and natural vibe. Sue x

      Delete
  3. Gah... tropical weather. It's a no from me ๐Ÿ™‚ Mrs J said to me that on the radio, they reported it would be 28 in London and 19 in Edinburgh.

    "You feel that, Highlander? That's the Quickening - telling you to get on the train quickly, to more civilised temperatures." ๐Ÿ˜

    FWIW, I've been enjoying iced mochas lot. Freezing the oat milk adds extra cooling.

    Oh, talking off Kate Bush, here's some AI magic for us Gen X folk ๐Ÿ˜

    https://youtu.be/wT46janS2yE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate Bush + Rentaghost is a marriage made in heaven, or wherever it is that spooks and ghouls (and freaks and fools) hang out. I'm pretty sure Rentaghost has cropped (creeped) up in our blogospherical blitherings before. Thanks for that, Lynn. It's not been a great day but it's improved a lot now!

      Iced mocha sounds good. You keep cool, missus, and autumn will be on its way as quick as you can say "cold front bringing unstable conditions".

      Sue x

      Delete