Tuesday 15 November 2022

Rainbow Houses

 My daily paper has a weekly supplement that I've found to be very LGBT positive. I get the paper (Il Secolo XIX) as it's a regional daily published in Genoa which was full of all the essential information one needed during the Covid Era. The fact it's LGBT positive is a bonus, but then the whole paper represents a good example of independent journalism as it's not owned by a some billionaire with his assets in some tax haven. That's why I usually didn't buy a daily paper when I lived in Britain (UK citizens there please note).

This week I read about the two Rainbow Houses in Milan that offer accommodation and support to people, almost all young, who have been kicked out of their homes through being gay or trans. There are other similar places in other big cities and the Milan charity is about to open two more such houses, with support from the city council. Currently home to 19 people, the Rainbow Houses are a bit like student flats with independent bedrooms for one or two people, a communal area with kitchen and balcony, and with the staff of the charity available to help with counselling and emotional support, with job and study applications, and even everyday tasks such as how to cook. This helps LGBT youngsters get on their feet in a safe environment and most stay for 8-10 months. Many have arrived with only a small bag of belongings. I've borrowed this photo from their website and this communal area certainly looks nice:



I'm glad there are such places, though I'm sad there has to be the need for them. Families can be a bit 'traditional' in the West, as in any other part of the world. The prevailing family culture everywhere is still for everyone to have cisgender and straight kids who will marry and bring grandchildren. The past few decades have eaten into the notion that that is how life should be but there is a long road to go. I read only last year of the case of a man here who was looking for a hitman to break his son's fingers after his son came out as gay. His son is in his 30s and a surgeon! Some families take LGBT children as a slur, as a failure on their part. So much for love!

So thanks to the establishers of the Rainbow House. Now I know they exist, I intend to support them in any way I can. 


Broken nails

From the inspiring to the trivial ... no! not trivial! I broke two fingernails yesterday. Aargh! I hate that. I keep my nails quite long and neat and usually painted with clear varnish. As my nails are so often in view (hello fingers on keyboard!), it makes me happy to see their feminine appearance as that affirms my femininity. So when they break it's oddly distressing! You understand, right? 😉

Sue x


4 comments:

  1. Ah, the frustration of a broken nail. Yes, there's more going on in the world tab that, but at the same time it's annoying and a pain that you need to trim them back.

    ( I did experiment with an emergency repair hack due to going out in the evening ).

    The rainbow houses sound excellent and that's both cool and kind of you to support them. In a recent Mermaids pod cast, they spoke about the figures of young homeless people and being LGBTQ was very much part of that.

    As you say, a shame that such houses are needed, but let us hope they give vital support to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. One day there won't be a need for rainbow houses, Mermaids or similar, but until then ... Sue xx

      Delete
  2. Those rainbow houses are a great idea but like you say it's sad that there is a need for them in the first place.

    With regards to broken nails, there is nothing worse! I try to be ultra careful especially at work but occasionally I break one or two and it's so frustrating. Luckily they don't take that long to grow back but even so it's horrible having short nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lotte. You'll never guess, but I broke a third nail the other day. Well, they say accidents happen in threes! Sue xx

      Delete