Friday 3 February 2023

That TGirl suitcase

 I used to travel a lot for work thirty years ago (and I've just realised how old I am getting!) and on one trip I forgot to pack something vital. I can't remember what it was but it was important - shoes or shirt or necktie (ugh!) or something like that - and ever after I have made a list of stuff to pack into a suitcase for every trip. Some people think this is excessive (including an ex-girlfriend who scoffed at it and always forgot essential stuff as a result!) but my mistake taught me that it's better to be overprepared than to goof as it's harder to rectify omissions when you're away. So I've printed off my list for my latest trip.

It used to be fun and daring when I first starting going away en femme to pack only female items in my bag so that there was no chickening out and slipping back into male mode. It was fem time all the way from leaving home to arriving back. There's nothing like having no escape route to hone your TGirl look and behaviour. 

This time I'm also packing only female items as that's what my wardrobe consists of even if I'm not necessarily going to present as female. I'm taking things gently as it's the first long holiday trip I've done for many years.

So my first tip for a TGirl suitcase is to make a checklist in advance to make sure you haven't forgotten anything vital, or useful, or something that you really want. 

My second tip is to travel light. So many times we think: "Shall I wear the ballgown or the disco pants to the club? I don't know, I'll pack them both and decide when I'm at the venue." But this just weighs you down with endless clutter that you can't use. So decide before you go and stick with your decision. If the funky pants weren't a hit after all then you'll just have to take the ballgown next time. And when you're a TGirl, any excuse is a good one for planning a next time, right?

Similarly, if you're away for a few days, learn to mix and match, to combine. Take two skirts and four tops, say, which can all complement each other, and the same for shoes. A neutral colour jacket or cardigan can go over if it gets cooler. That's four days changes of clothes in just nine items. Leggings are super versatile: they can be treated like tights or trousers, they're smart or casual depending on how you style them, and they weigh little and take little room in the case. A pair of jeans is versatile for more casual moments. Stick with one colour for nails that will work with all your clothes. There's no need to take all your jewellery either - select just a few complementary items. 

So whilst nature may have blessed you with the strength of an East German female weightlifter on steroids and heaving big cases and holdalls around is no problem for you, it's so much easier and much more the part if you can pack your preselected complementing items into a cute little trolley case. Make it a pink one if you like.


Spring

Ancient tradition has it that February 7th is the first day of Spring in the Mediterranean. The same tradition states that a week later, the 14th, is when birds start to choose a mate, and this is one of the possible origins of Valentine's Day. 

The weather was lovely today (see photo below taken from home) and the ten-day weather forecast for my trip is looking good, almost springlike. Whether romance arises too is another matter!


I've actually planned this carefully to try to avoid the chaos of local carnivals. When working in France in the 1980s, carnivals in February were just a licensed riot. Locals would dress up in costume, get drunk and have a massive street fight. Nowadays events are fully planned, ticketed and policed, but it means city centres are out of bounds to tourists without tickets. So still not ideal, but more civilised.

I'll take my laptop and report back on my holiday with any photos of things and happenings worth recording, and any trans things I come across that can be applauded.

Sue x

2 comments:

  1. "...excuse is a good one for planning a next time, right?"

    I wonder if that's part of the difficulty? What I mean is, sometimes The Next Time is unknown, so it's tempting to overpack to make the most of the chance you have.

    I know I take extra things to Chams because the gap between then and next can feel too long. Too long in that to mess up the opportunity seems too greater risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying and my suggestion was not intended as a criticism of girls who pack for many possible outcomes or long time lapses, as I've done the very same myself. But the advantage of packing light by deciding before one travels seems, in the end, to me at least, to trump a big bag of stuff to be humped around. Sue x

      Delete