Monday 13 February 2023

Well that didn't exactly go to plan!

 Hello little blog, Mummy's home. And she's been very neglectful, hasn't she? Well, there are reasons for that. A lot of reasons. But mainly that my trip to Spain got cancelled and the laptop I took away to load photos onto and update my blog with as promised was the old one with the worn-down keyboard (so it would be less valuable to thieves and less of a problem if lost). Except on my first night it told me it was so old that the hard drive was almost full and trying to deal with that, with rebooking stuff online and with uploading photos in hotel rooms with imperfect WiFi was too much in the end. So here's a quick update, with lots of fabulous photos in another post soon.

Ah, yes, so why did my trip to Spain get cancelled despite my stating in my last post that it had been planned carefully to avoid issues like carnival. Because a bunch of strikes and protests blew up at short notice in France and this caused the cancellation of my train to Spain, not only on the day I'd bought it for but there were no trains the day after either. So if this was all a ploy by the French tourist authority to keep tourists in France, then it worked a treat since I have spent the last nine days in France instead. 

Dear reader, your Auntie Sue here is resourceful and ensures that all her journeys and bookings are fully insured and refundable and so I've got all my money back on the tickets and hotels I wasn't able to use and I just booked alternatives whilst on diversion. So instead of Barcelona I spent time in Montpellier, Nîmes and Marseilles as well as the night in Nice that went as planned. I do recommend Booking.com and Trainline.com.

And there were no comments on my girly clothes - the French do like to point out a nonconformist (ah! c'est un travesti!). Frankly, everyday casual fashions in the 2020s are pretty unisex anyway. And things worked out just fine and I stayed in some lovely places.

Here's a little anecdote. On my first evening in Nîmes, I found a venue to eat at in a street recommended by my hotelier. Carré Jazz it was called, a venue that the locals seemed to frequent (always a good sign). The food was not bad and the local wine was agreeable, too, but the youngish couple who ran it (and she, slender as a rake in skinny blue jeans and red high heels, looked fantastic ...and I really must not eat chocolate mousse but must slim to be fab like that..... where was I?), anyway, the youngish couple had their nephew and niece in that night, aged about 8-10, and while their mother sat chatting with a friend the kids made themselves busy waiting tables, which was cute and often funny as some were tall bar tables that they could barely see over. But they didn't drop anything and were very polite, to the extent that all the customers were more than happy to tip them, which was a source of delight to them and that was sweet to see. 2 euros apiece seemed about right. Don't worry, it's not child exploitation all over again but a bit of fun that we all enjoyed and the two kids were unexpectedly happy from. A nice touch to a good alternative holiday which I had. 

Here by the way, is my chocolate mousse - which they promised me would be excellent and they weren't lying - with the venue picked out in icing sugar.

A proper write up of my trip will be here very soon.


 

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. "When life gives you lemons, rub them into the eyes of your enemies."

    Wait. That's not the traditional phrasing is it? 😉

    Despite the disruption, it sounds like you had a fab time and we'll just have to wait a little longer for the other posts.

    At least, once you've had time to pop the kettle on, relax, and recombobulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Once upon a time, you planned something and you did it. Since 2016, nothing whatsoever has gone to plan, from Brexit to Covid to my having my leg bust whilst moving abroad and so on, and I don't feel that things will settle down again so I make contingencies for everything now. I was supposed to have gone to England last year, for instance, but strikes, Covid, passport delays, travel chaos, etc etc made me feel it best to cancel plans till a contingently robust attack plan has been made, this spring perhaps. As I said, once upon a time, you made a plan, then you went and did it; now anything can happen. And yet people still support the governments responsible for this chaos. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Sue -

    I suggest buying a cheap Chromebook (if available) for your travels, and keep much of your stuff in the cloud. This way, you don't have to worry if your computer is stolen, as the machine may have no value on the black market. In my case, I spent $130 on a machine that will last me 5 years, and there is little stored on it that has any value to anyone. Just be sure to use 2 factor authentication to log on to your account.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. That's a good idea. It was kind of the thinking behind my taking my old laptop, I just didn't realise how full it was till I was on the move! Sue x

      Delete