Friday 22 September 2023

Transgender spectacles

 I have been wearing glasses on my nose every day since I was 8. Actually, I first had glasses prescribed when I was just 5 but I was so self-conscious that I would put them on only in the cinema where it was dark and no-one could see me. I didn't want to put them on at school, not even to see the blackboard, as the other kids would point me out. With the result that my teacher would politely note that the sums in my exercise book were not the same as those she had written up on the board. Well, I've never been good at maths, one number is as good as another! That's my excuse. But then I could no longer manage anything without glasses and I had to have them all the time. Short-sightedness runs in our family; it's just a thing we have.

So glasses/spectacles it is. In my early days of photographing my efforts dressed as a girl, I never had glasses on as my pair was too masculine. I noticed that also when I was first made up professionally. After just two photos, the spex came off! I couldn't see much but I looked a lot better without!

Since I need prescription glasses to go out, and since I have never been full-time female (though that may come), I spent quite a while studying frame styles to ensure I got a pair that doubled as male and female. Could I have got a more obviously feminine pair? Yes, when I had got used to shopping en femme, I could have done. Except the expense of owning two pairs, his and hers, is offputting. It's expensive enough having two wardrobes if you are not full-time male or female and throwing in the high cost of spex that may have to be altered every couple of years is not a reasonable option. So a good unisex pair works well for me. 

As I said, it's best to research frames and options before you attend the opticians rather than hazarding a guess as to what you will look like in your other presentation. There are sites now that let you try styles on virtually and this is a great option.

You might ask why I don't go for contact lenses and the answer is partly familiarity with what I have but mainly the health problems I have always had with my skin and eyes. Too many contact lens wearers I know have ended up with conjunctivitis or other problems at various stages of their relationship with their contacts. My eyes have always been prone to such difficulties just as my skin has always been prone to eczema. So, no, I'll stick to glasses, but I think mine suit as the frame is minimal.




 

A dip in the archives

There's been a lot of rain and wind this week and the hot summer is undoubtedly over. It's been around 25C (77F) today, which is not cool, but very pleasant. 

This is a contrast to the colder day I encountered in London this time back in 2010 when I went on a protest march as Sue. I've posted the photo before but as someone recently complimented me on the grey suede boots I was wearing, I thought it was worth revisiting.


They were a favourite pair and I had them reheeled at least twice. In the end, very sadly, they wore out and I had to say goodbye to them. They complimented the heather tartan skirt so well that I wore that combo a lot, as here:


I still have the skirt although it no longer fits my more matronly girth these days! Still, it remains an old favourite.

Sue x

8 comments:

  1. Too bad you don't live in the States for this one. There are discounters like Zenni Optical who sell fashionable prescription glasses at a very reasonable price. You might want to see if they can service a foreign customer like yourself.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Marian. It's probable that there are such companies in Europe, although I have quite a difficult prescription that limits the frames I can wear, at least the ones that look OK. I'm always looking for new solutions so I'll check Zenni out anyway. Sue x

      Delete
  2. A T friend has extra glasses and uses two different branches of their opticians. I think the company had a reduction deal on the second pair. The only drawback was the details were under their male name, so there's a slight touch of the fear, if the assistant asks for 'Mr Smith' and Mrs Smith appears 🙂

    FWIW, I'm of an age and I need glasses as well. I can get by without, but for reading & screen work, I need a pair on. For watching TV, gaming, or driving, I need another set.

    The optician said one eye is good for long vision and the other is okay for short distances. Or, to put it another way, on average, not great 😁 I'm due an eye test soon and I'm wondering about some barely there frames like you have. They're lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind compliment, Lynn.

      Presumably if one of your eyes sees distance and one sees close-up, all you need to do is go about with one eye or the other open according to circumstances! I joke, of course. After a certain age we all end up needed spex for something or other.

      The barely-there frames I have compliment one's face rather than hide it, but they cost more. Less matter, more money. Go figure! In my case, the thick frames I would normally have need to be reduced in thickness to be held by the frame and this adds a lot to the cost. Ah, who ever said that true beauty came cheap!

      Good luck with your spex quest, Lynn. I look forward to seeing the resultant look.

      Sue x

      Delete
  3. I have the same problem. I have worn glasses since I was 8 or 9, not so much for reading as that I don't accidentally bump into small things like office blocks, but as Susie I am vain enough to take them off for selfies.
    If you have a prescription there are various online 'Glasses Direct' sites offering really cheap glasses. I've not tried them. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has.
    Specsavers do 2 for 1 offers, and I did pluck up the courage at my previous test to ask about a second pair with female frames. Unfortunately they didn't have the frames I wanted, so I settled on a more unisex look for the second pair. I've just had another long overdue eye test, so I may ask again, or maybe take advantage of the free contact lens trial for Susie days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. I've never tried ordering glasses online. I guess I'm quite a hands-on person and I need to try the things on in a shop with a mirror and discuss with the staff before committing. I decided that the unisex approach covered all bases best and could be re-ordered whether in male or female mode. I'll give something online that's more femme some consideration now, though. Sue x

      Delete
  4. Mine are like yours: slightly rounded. Previously they were in a gender neutral category. Last time they were in the "women's". The assistant kept trying to suggest "men's" glasses to me. No, I like these. I did ask "why are they gendered at all" and got a sort of nonplussed non response ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, indeed. Often, why anything you buy needs to be 'gendered' is to do with market segmentation: get a product and market it to different sections of the population, appealing to their supposed preferences. The same formula toiletries are sold as male and female products, just with pale pastel shades for women and cool grey and blue tones for men. If you're clever you can get the one set of customers or the other to pay that little bit extra for the same thing. It's all a big scam really. With glasses, I'll allow that different shaped or coloured specs work better with some facial shapes or hair colours than others but apart from that, let the customer decide their style. Sue x

      Delete