Friday, 21 August 2026

Rain goddess, wig choice, eclipse dysphoria

 It's been raining. The first time anything resembling proper rain has fallen for three months. I went out to grab my washing off the line and it felt amazing to feel drops on my skin, a long-forgotten sensation. And the temperature has dropped so much that I've put some leggings on today. I love summer but this year has been horrid with no let up in the heat until now. 

TGirls often say how much more they prefer autumn to summer. There are more obviously feminine choices in attire to be made, your makeup doesn't run and your wig doesn't boil your head. I mean, it's nice to wear a bikini and flip-flops, but there's nothing like a full skirt, silk blouse and boots, is there?

Rain goddess. Strangely, rain dancing, spells and incantations were a lot more effective in England where this photo was taken.
  

Wig choice 

Thank you to all the people who have contacted me about the wig ideas I posted a fortnight ago. 

Although the shorter, layered style got the most support, I have decided against it. 

 


I have several shorter styles already and they don't really work for me because I feel less passable. Yes, yes, I know that passing is not just about how you look, but shorter hair exposes what I find least feminine about my face, and that's the clincher. Here are three other shorter styles I already have.

 

And some more I've tried and, although I loved the bobbed styles, I felt they didn't work for me, or would only in studio conditions. 

 

Besides, that wig costs twice as much as my usual style. So thank you all for the valid and considered comments, but I won't be buying it.

As many of you noticed, I did love the long style very much.

 

Of of my two GG friends said I looked beautiful in it. I certainly felt beautiful.

But practical considerations, high cost and comments that you can tell it's machine woven make me hesitant about buying it. I'd best give the long hair idea more thought, although I'll still be wearing long styles for fun things.

 

So, once again, thank you very much for your input. It's been an important exercise for me to listen carefully to others' experience and ideas rather than just plumping for what seemed fun. 

 

Eclipse and other events

Last week, clutching my eclipse spectacles in one hand and my bus ticket in the other, I clambered aboard the bus that trundles down the beautiful coast road to the headland called Capo Sant'Ampelio. It's a pretty spot, with rocks to dive off and an ancient chapel among the palms, and it was deemed the best place in the whole country to watch the eclipse. 

 


Anyway, total eclipse was not quite available here because sunset got in the way just a few minutes before totality but we were pretty close and it was a thrill to watch the sun gradually being eaten away till it looked like a thin slice of orange. 

The "eclipse of the century" that also traverses the Mediterranean will be next year but we'll only see about 60% coverage from this location. The best place to see that one is North Africa, especially Egpyt, if you want to combine it with a trip to Luxor or scuba diving or similar.

One odd thing happened. There's a bar on the headland (of course there is; this is Italy and there's a bar at every location that people might gather!) and they were obviously holding an invite-only eclipse party, with many people clambering out onto the rocks, even in heels, looking a lot like a colony of penguins! 

 


But they clearly had a white dress theme and the women in light, white dresses and skirts, strappy high-heels and summery accessories sent my dysphoria into overdrive. My eclipse specs were donned to avoid 'frock blindness', which is a new type on injury arising from too many fabulous outfits causing a trans person to lose their eyesight! Phew! Just saved myself. But it was a very dysphoric moment. Ouch!

A couple of days later we had the mid-August public holiday and the fireworks display that can be seen for miles without needing to leave home. Very pretty, but I think the council could spend a little less on entertainment and more on mending the broken pavement outside! 

The full summer season lasts another ten days and then the holidaymakers all have to get back to work and school and I get a bit more outdoor dressing privacy again. I would like to make more of my outdoor space this week, in fact, as the immediate neighbours are all away, only it's raining!

Sue xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment