Tuesday 18 February 2014

Dallas Buyers Club

I saw the film "Dallas Buyers Club" last night and I have to add my own positive review to those of the official critics. It is very good - not brilliant, but well above average - and very positive despite its tragic situation. The lead actors' performances are second to none. I don't want to write at length as I'd prefer merely to draw your attention to it.

My curiosity to see the film was aroused by the prominence of a transgender character, Rayon, played by Jared Leto, but the fact that Rayon is trans is really neither here nor there as far as the plot goes. The film stands on its own merits.

Set in the late '80s, a straight guy is told he is dying of AIDS and sets about getting various products which are not approved by the FDA into the USA, much to the annoyance of the authorities and the hospital trialling a drug. It's much more in-depth and subtle than that, of course, but I don't want to spoil it. There's a human warmth to it and a few giggles but what carries it is the outstanding acting by the scarily thin Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto. The handheld camera and the closeups add well to the sense of sickliness and character motivation.

Go see.

Sue x

PS Talking of scarily thin, that's not happening yet! No change in weight since last time. Boo!


No comments:

Post a Comment