Friday 21 October 2022

Leggy distractions

 The advertising for autumn and winter fashion is in full swing. This is lethal ...and don't the ad agencies just know it! Frankly, the ads for dishwasher detergent, cars and home broadband leave me indifferent, but flash up an image of some chic ankle boots or pink perfume in a lush bottle and I start to pay attention. And then there are leggy models sporting this season's party tights and this is just too distracting! Calzedonia are the worst: their mix of modernity and chic gets me every time. 

I can't yet spot this year's campaign in a permanent online format yet but here's last year's. 



My legs are short and my skin is imperfect therefore my hosiery is important to me to make me look good. Although I appreciate the quality of great brands like Calzedonia and Wolford, it is not, in my experience, worth spending three times as much on posh tights as they are barely more robust than cheaper brands. You can get good, stronger, well-made items for mid-price in ranges like Gypsy and Jonathan Aston. Below I'm wearing black lace tights from quality French firm Le Bourget that I treated myself to and finally managed to find a special night out to wear them on... yet Jonathan Aston did similar items in their Sweet Roses range for half the price, which are less rigid and more stretchy than the brand I wore.


I have bought sheer tights from Calzedonia and, just like sheers from other upmarket brands like Wolford and Tabio, it takes very little to put a hole in them. The quality, greater comfort and smarter style is something that one really has to pay for, and I'm still not sure it's worth it. So the Calzedonia ads have my gender dysphoria ramping up but I feel, from experience, that they're best left for party time only. At least, that's my take on them.


Blogger and Wordpress comments

Several readers have been in touch over the last few weeks to say that Blogger still won't let them comment, and there are similar problems with Wordpress. I still have some problems myself commenting on other blogs and at best I can comment only anonymously. I'm not technically minded enough to work out what's going on and it took me enough time to work out how to comment again on my own blog after Google made various changes. Sorry about that. As before, answers welcome. But I do appreciate your reading these posts and your emails.

[Add 23/10/22: See Lynn's comment below which may offer an explanation and a solution to this.]

Sue x


6 comments:

  1. Ah, the dilemma and trials of wearing posh tights. I feel your pain! Maybe it's my distant Scottish heritage or thoughts for the planet, but I would prefer an item of clothing to last a few wears before giving up. 🙂

    As to comments on Blogger and WordPress, I think it maybe linked to a web browser's security settings. In the summer, Google released a change to their Chrome browser that blocked something called third party cookies. The aim was to improve privacy (although Google are also working on a different ad system).

    Chrome is also available as something called 'Chromium': a browser that didn't have full Google integration and it's for computers and smartphones. Chromium is used by a number of web browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi, Dolphin, etc. Firefox is not part of this, BTW.

    With the default settings blocking third party cookies, this seems to break the AntiSpam systems in Blogger and WordPress.

    Readers may need to rummage in their web browser settings and enable third party cookies again. Yes, this'll reduce your privacy, but it should fix the comment issue.

    For privacy minded folk, Firefox, the ublock plug-in (Chrome, Edge, and Firefox), and PrivacyBadger may help.

    I think Firefox note has 'containers' that you can use to limit certain websites from accessing other web browsing history. Particularly useful for limiting Google, Facebook, and Amazon from collecting data about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Lynn. I may quote your analysis and suggestions in the next update. I seem to recall enabling third party cookies in order to resolve my own commenting problems. Sue xx

      Delete
  2. Interesting post Sue. The brand Jonathan Aston takes me back to my late teenage years. Black glossy Jonathan Aston tights with black seams up the back were all the rage and I asked my sister to buy some for me. I've still got them too they're still in mint condition too having only been worn a handful of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your sister would buy you clothes? And your wife and daughter support your trans life too. You are one lucky TGirl. Please cherish your family as such blessings are rare.

      Yes, I have Jonathan Aston black backseam tights, an early purchase for me too. Presumably they're some of their best sellers!

      Sue x

      Delete
    2. My sister bought my heels for me too back then but she never knew I crossdressed although she does now. She just thought I had a fetish for black patent footwear.

      Delete
    3. How the other half live, eh? ;-) Never in a million years would I have had support for crossdressing, fetishes or anything 'deviant' when I was younger. Mind you, my upbringing was weird. Black patent footwear and seamed stockings were an illicit dream for me and, though fulfilled, involved a lot of clandestine activity, secret hidey holes and endless fear. Sue xx

      Delete