Friday 31 March 2023

Trans visibility and Lily Savage

 It's trans day of visibility again. I dress as a woman now even if I'm not obviously feminine much of the time. Will that do? Given that my uncle, whom I saw today, made some joke about all those transgenders there are around nowadays, he seemed to miss the one right in front of him. So let me be more effectively visible by posting to my blog.

It's never been a good time to be trans. I thought things were getting better, and in some places they are, but in others things are regressing.

I was saddened to hear of the death this week of British television star Paul O'Grady who, as Lily Savage, brought drag into everyone's living room. By no means the first female impersonator or drag queen on TV, Lily Savage was different as she seemed to speak to, and for, a lot of women. When she became the presenter of celebrity quiz show Blankety Blank you suddenly had a family-oriented show hosted by a drag queen and nobody thought it weird. She did a great deal for the LGBT community in this way. And then Paul hung up the high heels and Lily was no more but he continued to present shows as himself. People said he was humane and approachable, always standing up for people's rights yet remaining witty. An important advocate for us has passed away and will be very much missed.

Lily Savage, from her Facebook page

Love to all my trans friends

Sue x

7 comments:

  1. "...about all those transgenders there are around nowadays..."

    Aye, bloomin' trans people, walking about, y'know, existing, being polite, holding down a job, and just trying to get by. Pssft. Now they're asking to be left alone and have the same rights as non trans folk. Outrageous! 😉

    I felt Paul O'Grady did a lot for LGBTQ+ people. I read that his kindness and voice for the underdog never left him. I remember seeing him perform as Lilly on TV and gasping as the speed of the jokes - and the rudery.

    Seeing him shift from late night comedy to the mainstream seemed to breakdown a lot of barriers.

    As a teen during the 80s, while I walk a different path, I was grateful to see Paul live his truth, bless him. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. The public warmed to him both as a openly gay man and as a drag queen and just that is enough to win hearts and minds. I try to adopt the same philosophy: it's not about preaching trans rights, it's about being relatable. Sue x

      Delete
    2. The encouraging research I read a few years back, is that personal stories and relationships help break down bigotry.

      When certain -ahem- individuals say that "those type of people can't be trusted" when you have someone in your family or social circle who's the target of that and - surprise! - they're just a regular person who is absolutely not a threat, it can help sow the seeds to break the nasty rhetoric.

      Delete
  2. I could not go out enfemme on this special day - I had a hernia surgery and have to slow down for the moment. But I think it is necessary to state the variety of our society. And as I live here in Austria I sadly did not know Lily Savage. But I am sorry that he passed away.
    All the best and have a good time
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violetta. I hope your surgery went well and that you recover quickly. Lily Savage was from Liverpool and very British in her attitude and humour. Sue x

      Delete