Wednesday 8 March 2023

Women's Day and more

 Every day is children's day, they say. Every dog has his day, they say. Today is International Women's Day, so third place is not bad. Could do better. Pardon my slightly cynical opening but I see women's place in society is still in need of improvement, and that certainly goes for trans women. Still, I'd like to wish a happy women's day to all. 

Here the mimosa (also known as silver wattle) is the gift given to women on this day and the fluffy yellow blooms are brightening up the local hillsides right now.


The rest of my post has a decidedly international flavour, too.


Veronika Arden's World

I've added this interesting blog from Austrian blogger, Veronika, to my blogroll. She likes to go out sightseeing and shopping in what is evidently a rather beautiful part of the world and has a lot of photos of her and her region. Welcome Veronika, and thank you for your comments.

Veronika writes in German but there is a translation button so you can select English ... or any other language, from Kazakh, Punjabi and Zulu to Scots Gaelic. Take your pick. Or tok ya pok. Or towk yarr pekk. You get my drift.

Veronika's blog

 

Brianna Ghey, RIP

I was very affected by this poor girl's unjust death in Cheshire, where I live when I am in Britain. Her funeral will be on March 15th and the theme will be pink. I approve of pink! Details from Cheshire Live: Brianna Ghey funeral arrangements 

Her family and friends requested a bit of online help to give her a fitting sendoff. Their target of £4200 has ballooned to over £113,000 and counting. I hope this and the crowds expected to attend will give her a really beautiful memorial and show that love trumps hate.

I had an email from the organisers that I would like to share:

Thank you everyone for your generous donations. Our family have been overwhelmed with the positivity and support we have received during the hardest weeks of our lives. If Brianna could see the amount of support she has received she would be thrilled.Thank you xxx

Rest in peace, lovely.

 


Spain

I tried to go to Barcelona last month but strikes put paid to my plans. So I am trying again next week and may be offline from this Saturday onwards. As well as a bit of sightseeing, I'd like to get a feel for what trans life might be like there. It seems to be particularly vibrant.

 

Lost in trans-lation

A final comment on translation bots like the one Veronika has from the master himself, C-3PO:



Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sue, Thanks for your post and the thoughts and stories you share. I love stopping by here. Franzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment, Franzi. I enjoy visiting your blog, too. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Ah, how useful it would be to have Jedi mind tricks.

    "These are not the distraction stories you are looking for. You should examine your leader's wealth, question their ethics of mistreating the vulnerable, and find out why you'll be next on their list." 😉

    Hmm. Perhaps it's best I don't 😁

    Good luck in Barcelona. I had the good fortune to go a few years back and loved it. Lovely people, great food, and fabulous architecture as well.

    As to the passing of Brianna, I hope the family fund solace in knowing the generosity and heartfelt wishes by the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I think it doesn't take much to work a Jedi mind trick on a lot of people: those boat people, look, they're 'invading', like the Vikings did and they're after your jobs, social security and your women; those Europeans are after our sovereignty; those transgenders, they're perverts who kill and rape women in toilets. Sue x

      Delete