Saturday 15 April 2023

First Pride 2023

 I'm pleased to report that the first Pride event of the year, at Sanremo, attracted record numbers. After last year's Pride, which was a commemoration of the first ever pride protest in Italy fifty years before, and which attracted around about 2000 people, the organisers this year felt that about 1500 would be the likely turnout. Instead, it's estimated that between 3000 and 5000 attended. That's like about 10% of the population of the town!

Here's a photo borrowed from their Facebook page:


 I like this picture too, of lesbians protesting against the government's pressure to reduce same-sex adoption. Italy's current prime minister is the far-right Ms Meloni, and her surname translates as "melons". I suspect I don't need to translate further. Well, it made me laugh!


I was busy getting ready for my sister's visit so I only waved them on this year, but there will be other such events to join in with in due course.


Preparation

I've been putting my suitcase together to go to England next week. Only a little case as my storage unit has crates of clothes waiting for me. There don't seem to be any strikes in France or Britain to prevent my arriving in London on Tuesday evening. It's going to feel very odd being back there after three and a half years away, and five years since I packed all my belongings away. I've a lot to do there to sort things out and that aspect of the trip is not something I'm looking forward to. But having my clothes, hair, shoes and all the rest and seeing friends again will make it worthwhile.

Wish me luck on my journey.

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. A country with a melon for a leader? There's a lot of it about so I'm told.

    Good luck on your travels. With the Easter holidays over in the UK, if you're flying in or taking the train, hopefully the crowds will have cleared by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. Ms Melons can certainly provoke fruity language in some.
      The timing of my travel is a balance between dodging strikes, evading holidaymakers and avoiding extremes of weather. It's a logistical masterpiece that I may sell to NATO planners!
      Sue x

      Delete
  2. Good luck for your journey, hope no melons cause you issues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The journey went well ... the emotions on arrival were a roller coaster. Sue x

      Delete