Thursday 6 April 2023

Preparing for my transphobic sister's visit

 My sister is coming to visit next week. I haven't seen her since a chance encounter in London in 2019, but not really since 2017 when she shocked me by revealing just how anti-LGBT her religious group requires her to be. I wrote about that discussion here: Hello, lugbutts.

I'm removing all signs in my home that I might not be the boy she thinks: things like flowers, chick lit, perfumes, feminine ornaments and so on. This creates a gender neutral backdrop on which to tackle the subject.

Years ago, I used to have a job investigating fraudsters. I'm trying to recall my interview techniques from that time but they boil down to not asking a question to which you do not already know the answer. I think John Le Carré says something similar in one of his spy books. 

The reason for this approach is that I think her religious group are not just unpleasant but even extreme and potentially criminal. If I find that she or they are, as I suspect, into continuing conversion therapy, or have been jamming LGBT switchboards with abusive calls (as has happened of late), or are harassing people, then I will need to consider involving LGBT organisations, the police or other authorities to monitor their activity. Fanatics don't care for rights, laws or people and my sister has said she'll go to jail for her beliefs. Maybe that's just bravado, or maybe a real threat. I intend to probe this further with as much subtlety as I can. My only fear is that I will be so disgusted that I lose my temper.

You may say that blood is thicker than water and one shouldn't investigate one's own family in such a way. But I would say that when you have been subject to as much abuse, fear and threats as I have from this cultlike family faith, then I think both I and society and the trans community deserve better. I can appreciate that if you had a family member or spouse who was a thief or conman of some kind, or into gang violence or whatever, you might hesitate. But cultism and fanaticism destroy lives in their entirety as they do not attack material possessions, money or even the body, which are replaceable, insurable or healable, but they aim to destroy or control very essence of another person. 

I may be wrong - and I hope I am - about this being a long-term problem rather than just a blip when I last saw her. I wasn't this concerned back then as trans rights were improving and religious nuts were on the back foot but now we are under threat and I don't want these unpleasant groups getting the upper hand. Besides, this is my family and I think it's primarily my responsibility to deal with them, at least in the first instance.

Wish me luck and composure.


Gardening

My garden is a mess and the plants have all dropped seeds in each others' pots and everything seems to be mixed up now. But it's not been a good couple of months, especially with the high winds and low rainfall we've had, and so I've designated tomorrow as garden day. I've bought a new barbecue as traditionally Easter Monday is family barbecue day in Italy. 

So, burgers or sausages? That's the burning question!


Easter weekend

Wishing everyone a good easter break. Enjoy the chocolate! As well as a pretty egg, like the one I loved last year, I've also got a colomba, which is a traditional light Italian easter cake in the form of a dove (well, vaguely).


 Sue x


7 comments:

  1. Good luck with digging out the unwanted weeds. Oh, and with gardening too. 😉

    Bigots have been emboldened by suspect rhetoric from populists and certain quarters of the media. Funnily enough, it's always minority folk who take the brunt of such attacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I'm not sure if the bigots feed the populists or vice versa. Either way, they make common cause. Sue x

      Delete
    2. My guess would be folk are being played and their buttons are being pushed, to haul in their votes and money.

      Delete
  2. Sue -

    Is your sister's group a "Mainstream" religious group, or is it a "cult" group?

    Letting her visit is dangerous, as you may be tempted to tell her what you feel - even if you don't tell her about your authentic self. As much as she needs to see that objective reality is different than what she has been told to believe, her brainwashing prevents that from happening. She needs to feel that she has a gift from god, and will protect that gift above all other things of value - such as personal relationships.

    So, make a game plan for the time she will be near. Figure out a way to deflect her comments when she says things that hurt you. And then, get her away from your abode as quickly as possible and keep her away as best you can. You don't need to risk confrontation.

    Most of all, be very, very cautious when near her. She may feign not being in her cult anymore. But that's when she is most dangerous, as she may have an inkling you are trans and line you up for forced conversion therapy - it has been done to others without regard for any law.

    Like many trans people, we have family members who are in religious cults. Another of my trans acquaintances is going to a wedding, and will be in the presence of her mother - who is in a cult herself. She fears what will happen when she attends the wedding. Yet, she's going, and will always have her guard up until she's on the plane flying home. You should take the same attitude, if you aren't doing so already.

    Good Luck.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your thoughtful and considered comments, Marian. The truth is, I am not quite certain of the nature and ideals of her group and that is what I want to try to ascertain. My sister, although certainly brainwashed is also rather naive. She will protect her faith with ferocity, and she is too old to change. But my aim is not to so much to argue as to learn more about her beliefs and motivations and if I think she or her group have become dangerous or even criminal then I will pass relevant details on to persons better placed to deal with any threats they pose. Sue x

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that your sister's visit is causing so much stress !
    I hope it's not a long one, good luck with it.

    Hope you still have a happy Easter, the cake looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She'll be here for just two days. That type of cake is very nice, very light and fluffy but with nuts and fruit in. Sue x

      Delete