Friday 21 April 2023

Kate Collins: a tribute

 I am heartbroken to have to write that my friend Kate Collins passed away the other evening.


 

Kate was a big presence in the trans scene in Manchester, eventually setting up the Manchester Minxes as a trans social group that would meet up regularly in the Gay Village. She also promoted trans awareness at work and had her office represented at Sparkle, the UK's annual national trans celebration. 

Kate at work

 

I first met Kate at Sparkle in 2010 and every time I went to Manchester she was there with her wife, who has always been a kind and encouraging ally to all us trans girls. A good organiser, Kate would arrange meet-ups in restaurants and clubs, and dancing in Napoleons club would usually round off a night out. We had some lovely meals out over the years.

 

Kate and I at Sparkle in 2015

When Covid came and the world was locked down, Kate set up TGirl Zoom chats every Saturday night. Knowing you had that regular commitment to get yourself dolled up for a video chat with the girls helped us keep sane and balanced when so little else was predictable, and was just what we needed to give our femininity a boost when the lockdown attitude was to let your appearance go. On that subject, Kate could wear short dresses with conviction as she had great legs (and I'm not jealous at all, no).



Kate could be a strong campaigner for rights, not just of trans people but cyclists as well - she hated inconsiderate, bad motorists in particular. But she had a good sense of humour, too. Her favourite trick was to pull her "Helen Lederer face". I haven't got a photo of her doing it but this is on the way to it:


I have arrived back in England after nearly four years away and I had hoped beyond hope I would see her before the end that she made clear was coming, but I just missed being able to and that makes me doubly sad. But I hope to see her kind wife soon.

Thanks for all the many good times, Kate, and for all the things you organised for the trans community in North West England as well as for all your friends. You are at peace and out of pain now and I will miss you terribly. My love and condolences to your wonderful wife, your son and daughter-in-law and baby grandchild (you called yourself "glamparent"!) and to all your many friends, colleagues and everyone else you touched. Ta-ra, chuck ... your own favourite way of saying goodbye.

Sue x

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing, Sue. I think Kate would've been very moved by your kind tribute to her. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm only an email away 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie. I appreciate that. I was very teary when I first heard but the tributes to her that have been posted on various social sites show how many people she touched and that's wonderful to see. Kate's wife will be very moved by the condolences, I'm sure. Sue x

      Delete
    2. The other day, Mrs J mentioned how many people had wonderfully kind stories about Paul O'Grady and George Michael. It sounds like Kate was very much a good soul - someone who did great things. I'm with you in hoping her wife takes some comfort in all of it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Lynn. When I arrived in Chester the other day, the taxi driver brought up spontaneously that they wanted to set up a statue in Birkenhead to Paul O'Grady and what a lovely guy he was and Lily Savage was fun. So these people can make waves with their humanity that travel very far. Kate was a person who unassumingly helped people, directly and indirectly, to accept their transness and have fun with it. A generous soul. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Really sorry to hear, she sounds like a lovely person.
    I suppose at least your last memory of her will be when she was well at least.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Life with Kate was certainly fun when she was well and she wasn't mawkish about dying. I'll remember her very fondly, that's for sure. Sue x

      Delete