Sunday 29 October 2023

Trans positive performing arts and sciences

 I went to Liverpool with a friend the other day. We saw a bit of the Walker Art Gallery but mainly the World Museum, which is like a smaller version of the Natural History Museum and British Museum in London. Both Liverpool museums are free (and I hope the London ones still are). It was half term and so the World Museum was full of children, especially where there were dinosaurs to see. We all love dinosaurs!

But I was particularly struck by an exhibit in the aquarium, which was about LGBT creatures, like gay penguins and gender flexible fish. I though the lesbian, trans and other flags in the backdrop were irrelevant to the animals concerned, and rather anthropomorphised them, but education on the realities of the world is what museums should be about so I was very pleased to see the feature. Children will go away more knowledgeable and aware that being trans or gay is natural and is observable all over the world.

I was also encouraged by the support I read in Musicals magazine this month. I do like stage musicals. I guess the campness and spectacle has always appealed and it's clear that the LGBT community has always provided a very significant portion of the performers, producers and backers.

In Britain alone, musicals currently or recently on that are about trans, gay or drag subjects include Everybody's Talking About Jamie, La Cage aux Folles (just ended), Mrs Doubtfire, Hairspray (that traditionally has a drag role) and, of course, the Rocky Horror Show

Lisa Martland (founder and editor of Musical Theatre Review) ended her review of La Cage aux Folles thus:

La Cage is often complimented for the razor-sharp wit of Fierstein's book, the memorable anthemic tunes from Herman, and the eye-catching drag queens - and all of those elements are here. But most important of all is the message that if a life is lived with kindness, care and tolerance, then no-one has the right to respond to that with prejudice and hate.

Sadly, in the light of recent homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, this show is as relevant now as it ever was.

That really struck a chord with me not only because of the unequivocal support from this kind ally but because La Cage means a lot to me personally. I saw a London production of it in 2009 with the superb Roger Allam in the role of Albin/Zazar at just the time when I was getting serious about coming out and living openly as a trans woman.

"I am what I am", the show's best-known number, was almost anthemic for me at the time. Here's my favourite version, sung for Harvey Fierstein by Ginger Minj:


 

Most musicals are uplifting and the others I've mentioned are also about overcoming prejudice to be oneself. "Don't dream it, be it." Ah yes, the ever wise Dr Frank N. Furter there!

 

Packed and ready to go

I've packed my bags and I'll be leaving England tomorrow to return to my home in Italy. All shoes except the booties pictured in my last post are in my cases. And there are all sorts of pretty goodies alongside them. I'm glad to have my own stuff again.

Sue x


No comments:

Post a Comment