Monday 6 November 2023

Storm damage

 There have been four serious storms in fewer than three weeks and although I have made a few comments about the bad weather in previous posts, the last storm, that is dying down now, has had the most direct effect. 

I am careful to check the weather reports but my washing stand blew down on Saturday night as the storm started early. All my newly washed skirts and lingerie ended up in a puddle and have had to be washed again. At least none of my smalls blew into neighbouring properties, as happened a couple of years ago! Or exploded! I'm not having much luck with my underwear these days!* 

Windswept! Taken in Brighton, England, 2011


But my complaints are trivial because there's been a lot of damage. Two neighbours lost their adjoining wall in a loud smash of metal, concrete and glass yesterday. A roof blew off a building and crashed onto passers-by which happened to include the deputy mayoress who is now in hospital. As for damage to property through high seas, that's still being assessed as shopfronts crumble under the waves. We've lost one of the beautiful 150-year-old palms on the seafront. I'm very sad to say that several people have died. Life can change so suddenly in an unexpected instant; I find that frightening.

I hope it's the last storm of the season. Please stay safe where you are.

Sue x

* I realised whilst proofreading my draft that this is the sort of casual remark that starts intergalactic wars, if Arthur Dent's similar comment is anything to go by: The Vl'hurgs

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the terrible storms you've experienced, Sue. Hopefully you're safe from the worst of it.

    As to your comment about casual remarks, the flooding last month in the UK felt similar. Similar in that locally, we had minor inconvenience around roads, but further north there was significant property damage. Tragically, there were a few deaths as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Yes, I was in the UK for Babet, although it wasn't as bad in the West as in the East. As for my friends in Scotland that day ... It's partly a seasonal thing but it's also the climate crisis that no-one has done anything about since the first political acknowledgments of the problem a third of a century ago. What do we do about that? Sue x

      Delete