Saturday 2 December 2023

Influential allies

 For every transphobe, there are a dozen allies.

I was about to sit down and pen this post last night when all the lights went out. There was a blackout of the whole area and while it lasted it was actually quite nice to have dinner by candlelight and see other homes with just a similar flicker in their windows. Strangely, at the same time, the fire brigade came to put out a small fire that had broken out in the telephone exchange opposite. And when I got to my laptop it had somehow got zapped, presumably in some pre-blackout surge and wouldn't work properly. Thankfully, it seems OK now. What a weird evening!

In a world where crazed men like Putin make promoting the international LGBT "movement" (as he calls it) very illegal, with penalties similar to those for murder for people and organisations supporting LGBT rights, you do wonder what we are coming to. But then Putin is rather obviously on the wrong side of history. And there's little doubt that many governments are trying to focus public disaffection about high living costs and other failings onto people other than themselves, such as refugees or minorities like us. For every act of hate, though, I continually see endless open support for LGBT people from influential quarters. All this year I have been able to report on art exhibitions, media promotions and news that shows trans people in a positive light or how they are mistreated and shouldn't be.

This week the monthly health supplement to my daily broadsheet newspaper has a four-page spread on the research into the Y chromosome that suggests its inherent weakness and uncertainty over whether it actually promotes masculinity as previously thought, and on human gender variety being normal and to be expected.

The Pope, leader of a religion that has been an inveterate enemy of ours for centuries, tells his peers to go easy on LGBT people. Maybe he's realising that his church's intrasigence and intolerance are putting people off.

Doctor Who, an amazingly popular and influential Sci-Fi TV show that has been running for sixty years, has a trans character, Rose (played by a trans actress Yasmin Finney), and the show's writer and producer, Russel T Davies, described transphobes thus: "there are some people who are full of absolute hate and venom and destruction and violence and would like to see that sort of thing wiped off the screen entirely... Shame on you and good luck to you in your lonely lives." High-profile actor David Tennant, one of the many who has played the Dr Who character, has been a ferocious trans ally for a long time.

I also enjoyed this article in the UK's Independent newspaper about a trans woman's major influence on the microchip revolution and how she overcame prejudice: Lynn Conway. Well done to her. Now, Lynn, about my laptop going weird on me last night ...

These are just the most obvious pro-trans items I have come across this week alone. It's the same every week. I don't despair yet, though I know we have a fight on our hands. Thanks once again to allies and supporters who keep pushing back against the hate, prejudice and ignorance.


Weight loss

I had hope to lose a bit more weight in November but I made the mistake of eating a chocolate sponge pudding on Thursday and that wrecked my losing streak. Chocolate, the devil of devils! Anyway, in November I lost 9 pounds overall, so I have 41 to lose by May. Still, that's a good loss and I'm not complaining. 


A dip in the archives

Here's another photo from my old memory card. Did they name the street after me? Or do I just gravitate vainly to where I will be recognised?

Manchester, 2014.


Sue x

8 comments:

  1. Commiserations for the cruel ambush by that chocolate pudding! 😉

    The distraction technique of making trans folk the new villains and to be wearing thin in certain areas. While the UK still has the unfortunate, but probably will deserved, nickname of TERF Island, the general public are far more concerned with the cost of living crisis, village change, and crumbling public services. Yeah, Haters Gonna Hate, but that doesn't seem to be the direction of travel for regular folk.

    Thanks for the long read about Lynn, that was really intriguing. See also Sophie Wilson

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Wilson

    Now, if we can just rile up the bigots to cancel the use of smartphones, the Internet is going to be a lot more pleasant 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Lynn. I hadn't heard of Sophie Wilson (nor indeed about Lynn Conway) but that's because I don't move in IT circles. See, trans people making the world progress step by high-heeled step. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Dear Sue, Thanks for your nice posting and congratulations (nonetheless) on your continued weight loss. And what a great picture. I love the pose. I, too, gravitate towards towards certain situations, poses, backgrounds in my pictures, such as places where I have been before in my respective other gender presentation, that have a certain meaning or value for me, or that are of historic or political importance. Love, Franzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Franzi. Sometimes a photo works really well and I think this is one of mine that does. Obviously, I had to pose in Richmond Street! Sue x

      Delete
  3. Sue, Nevertheless, I appreciate your kind words and congrats on your ongoing weight loss. You're doing fantastically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sue, Yes that´s true - there are many crazy people (mostly men, but not only) in this world who would like to damn and destroy people like us (Crossdressers/Part-time-women etc.) and even more those who really want to change their sex.
    Fortunately I have no problems with my weight...as I don´t eat chocolate very often...though I like it. My honey on the other side is a real addict. If she gets one of a package.....it doesnt take long and the package is empty....So she also does not come down with her weight.
    A nice photo of you...but as this is nearly nine years old...don´t you have some actual ones?
    Thanks for your nice visits to my blog.
    Have a good time and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violetta. I notice from your many photos that you are slim. I used to be slim and one of the reasons why there are so few photos of me recently is that I have become very self-conscious about my weight and I don't feel pretty. Also, I have little privacy at the moment. I have been trying to wear my makeup for over a month but I keep being interrupted by builders, neighbours and other people all the time! I hope that will all change soon. Sue x

      Delete