Monday 19 September 2022

Ever changing

 The weather has cooled somewhat and I feel autumn is very much on the way now. In fact, last night I slept with a sheet over me for the first time in three months. The outdoor pool closed yesterday and the general run of seaside activities is winding down. It's the equinox on Friday and the nights will draw in more noticeably after that (in the Northern hemisphere, at least).

I do love summer best but as I've mentioned so often, very hot weather makes TGirl life harder, with the need for wigs that boil your head and makeup that won't stay on. Autumn promises a rather prettier time.

Queen Elizabeth is being buried as I write. That marks the end of a very long era. I think Charles III will be a good king. Everyone used to poke fun at him for his notions on organic farming, climate change, accepting different faiths and the like, but that is all now mainstream thinking and practice. Evidently a man ahead of his time - a pioneer of sorts, despite outward appearances. I would say, cautiously, that he seems more humane and genuine than most people in high places. I wish him well in what may be difficult times ahead.

I am now preparing for a visit by my lovely friend Roz. Previous attempts to have her to stay have been thwarted by all sorts of unexpected events so I'm hoping that nothing goes wrong this time. I'll be meeting her at Nice airport and we plan to spend the first day of her holiday in Nice itself. Most importantly, though, it'll be good to see a trans friend again after all the chaos brought about by Covid. Let's hope we're seeing the end of that and a return to life as it used to be.

So, I have mixed feelings at this moment of seasonal and other transitions. But whenever I have this autumnal feeling I think back to my favourite childhood book, Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson, the last, evocative line of which is: "It is autumn in Moominvalley, for how else can spring come back again." As a kid, that prompts you to go right back to the start of the book (since it opens in spring) and read it all again. But now I take this as a reminder of the cycle of things: one thing ends in order that another can begin.


Have a nice autumn, everyone. For me, the next week with Roz should be a lot of fun and I expect there will be photos...

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed King Charles can make a difference. We could certainly do with more thought towards the environment and accepting faiths (rather than just one).

    I hope Roz's visit goes well and enjoy the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie. I have some faith in His Majesty; somewhat less in His Majesty's government. Before Prince Albert came up with notions of the mystique of majesty, that we have rather had our fill of these last few days, the monarch's job was pretty hands on, including appointing prime ministers. I wonder if a revival of old practices mightn't do us some good? Sue xx

      Delete
  2. You have a nice Autumn too Sue.

    I hope you have a good time with your friend Roz and I look forward to reading about your time together.

    I didn't realise Moomintrolls were from books, I thought they'd been devised for childrens TV in the 1980s. I had a quick look at the book on Amazon and it does seem vaguely familar after all these years.

    I'm sure King Charles will do okay but he's not going to have the same long reign that his Mother did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lotte. I expect there'll be a lot to tell about my adventures with Roz as she's the first visitor from the UK I'll have had since moving to Italy 4 years ago. Sue xx

      Delete