Sunday 4 September 2022

Why not wear a kilt?

 Over the years, a number of women have asked me why, instead of wearing women's skirts, I don't just wear a kilt. It's the same idea, same basic look, zero hassle with epilating, makeup, etc. and less threat from transphobes.

Although the questioners have been well-meaning, they miss the fundamental point. I don't wear skirts because they are more attractive or more comfortable or cooler or pleasanter than trousers (though they are) but because they are a badge that affirms to me who I feel I am and a sign to others of how I wish to be regarded: as a woman. A kilt, although very like a skirt, is a garment for men, and I don't wear men's clothes as they fail in those two vital tasks of acceptance as a woman. Yes, there are kilts for women, too, which can be very similar to men's ones, and I would wear those. That's because they are women's kilts, not because they are kilts per se. I don't want to be taken for man in a kilt.

Kilts may, of course, be a half-way house that will satisfy a lot of trans women who may wear the item to feel more feminine but who do not wish to be out as transgender. 

These days, there is a whole range of garments that pass as kilts, such as 'utility kilts', that have quite a following. You can get them in various manly designs - camouflage, 'tactical', steampunk, 'gladiator' leather ... They are certainly practical and I saw a man in a workshop a few years ago wearing a short utility kilt that suited him and didn't seem odd. His being Scottish helped, but it was more like a black pleated miniskirt than a standard kilt. 

 


There seem to be cargo kilt designs for women too, though mostly shorter as, hey, women need to show a bit of thigh, right? 

Naturally, all this can have traditionalists frothing at the mouth. But as with all things traditional and many things masculine, the kilt to be genuine must, they say, be won by someone entitled to do so and to a strict set of rules on hem height above knee, belt size, kilt pin placing and all manner of proper and correct materials, accessories, fit and deportment. It's a minefield! No wonder most Scottish men these days wear jeans! 

My feeling is, if it makes you happy and you aren't intentionally insulting someone, then wear what you want. 

So a kilt is a great garment, and there's a huge array of kiltmakers these days. But a kilt is not for me. I'm not a man, you see.

 

Back to school

Wishing workers and children a brave return to work and school this autumn. The week to come is often the most depressing of the year! Here's something to lighten the mood:

(c) Terry C Wise


Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post Sue, I have to a agree with you on the kilt question.

    Putting on a kilt as a way of getting away with wearing a skirt certainly doesn't appeal to me, I'd still look and feel like a guy.

    You posting about kilts got me thinking about how I'm often in admiration of the female pipers and drummers when I watch the World Piping Competiton on the television (Yes I like Pipes and Drums, don't mock lol). When I see them in their crisp shirts, waistcoats and kilts it's a look I like .

    Their kilts are made different than mens kilts, they're made to accomodate the natural curves of their hips. This allows the kilt to fit and swing more naturally than if they were to wear a man's kilt.

    I do love plaid and tartan skirts, especially a nice a-line or pencil one and they come in some really lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite fond of pipes and drums myself and I agree that the women's outfits look especially attractive (the men look good too, to be fair, and as you say, it's a different cut that I can't associate myself with).
      I do have some tartan skirts, including a heather-coloured one that I've always loved which went well with some grey suede boots I had (sadly, worn out now). I think I may hunt in the photo archives for next time.
      Sue x

      Delete
  2. Yes - I did manage to resist saying 'aye' , despite that being a Midlands thing too 🙂 - the cut, fabric, and weight are not the same. I wore a kilt (years ago) at a wedding and I was surprised on how different it felt. A tougher material and one that was a lot heavier than anything I've worn in my femme wardrobe.

    I guess the same difference could be said of shirts, trousers, jeans, and shoes for the different genders - and that's before we get on to colour and/or style.

    If I had to generalise, my bloke clothes seem to be thicker, rougher, squarer (!), and warmer. Whereas my femme wardrobe is fitted, smoother, more delicate, and, of course, lacks pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, apart from the greater warmth and the presence of pockets, men's clothes don't have much else to recommend them. I hate the roughness of them. Maybe that's part of the rugged, manly thing, or else that men care less about how their clothes make them feel. Sue x

      Delete