Wednesday 10 May 2023

A lot to replace

 I was glad last week to have been reunited with most of my clothes, makeup, wigs and so forth that had been in storage for some years. Most of the makeup has had to be thrown away as being too old and dried up. You shouldn't keep certain types of makeup, such as eye makeup, for more than a few months anyway because it accumulates germs, so items like that were ditched without ceremony, but of course other things have dried up, like nail polish and, essentially, I have to buy my entire makeup bag again. This is doubly distressing as a lot of it wasn't cheap. I try to buy quality foundation and eyeshadow because my skin can react badly to certain chemicals in modern products. So I've spent some time this week finding where I can find local Mac and Benefit counters after the department store closed down and very fortunately they now sell them in the large Boots the Chemists in town so I don't have to travel to one of the larger cities.

I remain overweight and this means that all those pretty dresses I had when I first ventured out no longer fit and, at least for now, I am buying new clothes in larger sizes. I got the seal of approval for some wide-leg trousers from the sales assistant as she happened to be wearing exactly the same ones and showed them off to me, doing a little twirl in the shop! They are very comfortable and decidedly feminine and contemporary. Among my favourite new items are a pretty cotton summer dress that fits me nicely, and a sheer black shirt with mother-of-pearl buttons. 

I have also been buying new bras and knickers. Marks and Spencer no longer seem to do my favourite T-shirt bras and microfibre briefs but the substitutes are not bad. 

I have new glasses, too, which suit my face whether fully femme or not. And a new prescription so I can see properly again! I am also getting some dental work done. Yes, they have opticians and dentists in Italy, too, but it's a bit cheaper in Britain. You have to shop around, right?

We're getting there. 

 

Spring contrasts

I'm enjoying the contrasts of spring in Britain with spring in Italy. One of the reasons I went to live in the Mediterranean was because I couldn't tolerate the minimal sunlight and cold, variable climate of Britain any more. Where I live in Italy now there are 300 days of sunshine a year, the lowest temperature I have ever noted was 8C (46F), and my health has improved no end as a result. However, there has been a drought in Italy for the last 18 months so the soft rain of North West England these last three weeks has been a curious and pleasant contrast. The grass is lush and bright green here, there are bluebells in flower and the trees are putting out leaves. This is in total contrast to the evergreen palms, agaves and citrus of the riviera. I'm enjoying the common little birds like sparrows, starlings and blackbirds hopping about in the hedges; where I live in Italy it's collared doves, seagulls and wagtails. The contrasts and differences, even in common things, are what make the world so fascinating and I'm enjoying the change.

Castle, rolling green acres, deciduous trees, grey skies, drizzle ... this is not the riviera. Cholmondeley Castle Gardens, Cheshire, England

 

A dip in the archives

I haven't dipped in the archives for a long time and that's because I had no archive material left. But I've been reunited with many old photos so here's one of me in a pretty, floaty summer dress ten years ago.



Sue x

4 comments:

  1. A chance for a new start and maybe an update too. Even if this does mean passing on some of favourites. 💜

    Plus, Cheshire is a lovely part of the country. If you get to Chester at all, the river and park are quite beautiful.

    "...I have ever noted was 8C..."

    That's tropical if you're Scots (partly or fully) 😁 But good to hear the weather has helped your health and congrats on the new specs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Rebuilding everything is frustrating but I'm trying to have fun. After all, what TGirl doesn't love shopping? I am in Chester right now and it's a pleasant city in a variety of ways. Sue x

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear so much needs replacing, or doesn't fit anymore. Is it worth selling those on vinted and then buying some others through there.
    I do love getting a bargain on there, I try to buy as much 2nd hand as possible.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for the suggestion, Isobel. I'll probably have to consider something like that, once everything is out of boxes and its usefulness assessed. Sue x

      Delete