Wednesday 24 May 2023

Busy days, and a memorial

 Hello blog, I thought I'd better check in as the last few weeks have been very hectic and I haven't had time to write. After nearly three years of global pandemic restricting what one can do and where one can go, all of a sudden it's been possible to deal with stuff that's been waiting a long time to be dealt with, from dental work to catching up with family and close friends, to buying new clothes and makeup and digging out old ones, to considering what to do with residual stuff in one country when I now live in another... I'm quite tired now but I have decided that six weeks in Britain are enough for the time being and I will be going back to my home in the Mediterranean next week. 

I've already described my clothes, makeup and accessories situation and there's a lot to say about my lightning trip round the South East of England and the East Midlands last week, but I will leave that for now as my poor friend Kate is still on my mind. It would have been her 62nd birthday yesterday and tonight there is a memorial for her in Manchester that I can't go to. I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute to a much-loved lady, followed by what Kate herself enjoyed best: eating and dancing. Rest in peace, my lovely. 

 


 Over the course of my life I've seen family, friends, colleagues and neighbours pass away and this is always distressing and leaves holes in your life and emotions. But when Bill, a friend of mine and stout trans ally passed away some years ago I cried so much. And when lovely Bobby died two years ago. And now I can't think of Kate without crying my eyes out, too. I said that I can't go to her memorial tonight and that's chiefly because I'd be too upset. Maybe we trans folk become especially attached because of the secrets we share with and keep for one another, the support we give one another and our need to look out for one another against hostility. Or maybe it's just that some friends are special, never mind the transgender thing. I don't know, but I can say that I and others have been very tearful this past month. 

Thanks for reading.

Sue x

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it's been so difficult these last few weeks, Sue. When someone close to passes away, I believe the pain of that is very real. Grief affects us all differently and FWIW, it's absolutely okay to miss your friend and be upset.

    "...our need to look out for one another against hostility..."

    I think you're right in that we have different levels of friendship with others. Sometimes, folk really connect and there can be a deep bond between friends, one that may last many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comforting words, Lynn. They mean a great deal to me. Sue x

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome, Mrs. Look after yourself 💜

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of the distressing time you have had Sue ❤️ - I hope the next few weeks are less so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's very kind. I'm going back to Italy soon and the change of scene will probably help, too. Sue x

      Delete