Saturday 5 August 2023

Arty and trans

 I said last time I was failing in my TGirl photo duties but I did get dolled up in the end...


It's the least horrible picture I took. I wasn't feeling it, especially as I'd made an effort to look nice for a video chat and then the other person let me down at the last minute. And the next day I went down with bronchitis and I'm still unwell so, yeah, not at all my best. But some days you've got it and some days you haven't and that's the way it is.

I think when the hot weather is over I'll try again. I did break open all my lovely new makeup, though, and that is always a delight, especially with a squirt of perfume.


Trans and LGB art

This summer there are a number of exhibitions in prestigious institutions aimed at showcasing LGBT art, photography and activism. 

(1) The Centre Pompidou in Paris has a major exhibition of LGBT art from its own extensive collection and others. "Over the Rainbow" runs until November 13th.

Jean-Baptiste Carhaix, "Sister Sadie the Rabbi Lady" (1983). © Jean-Baptiste Carhaix, Courtesy Galerie Vrais Rêves, Lyon Photo: © Centre Pompidou, MNAM-CCI/Bibliothèque Kandinsky/Dist. RMN-GP
 

Link: Over the Rainbow (English)

 

(2) The Luigi Pecci Centre for Contemporary Art in Prato, Italy, a small city near Florence, has an exhibition till October 15th of photographs by Lina Pallotta of trans activist Porpora Marcasciano.

Link: Lina Pallotta, Prato (Italian only)


(3) I notice that the nearby town of Menton, France, which has a large museum dedicated to creative polymath Jean Cocteau, who made no secret of his homosexuality and was strongly influenced by 1920s drag queens like Barbette, has put some of its Cocteau exhibits in the main square. 



I must visit the museum and report back.


Sizzling hot news

Forest fires are the order of the season and we had one on the hill I live on the other day. Here's the emergency helicopter carrying a bag of seawater from out front to dump it on the fire out back. 


Most of these fires are started by idiots being careless with cigarettes or barbecues, a few by pyromaniacs who love a cosy blaze or people wanting money off insurers. The cloudbursts and flooding in Austria, Slovenia and Croatia, though, are caused by the climate crisis and I am worried about my friends there.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sue, Thanks for sharing your recent picture. I like the pose and think that is a pretty cute look. In other words, "share more" :-) Sorry to hear about your bronchitis. I trust it is not related to getting dolled up the day before. Love, Franzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can do better, though, and I will! But the hot weather is not helping.
      I don't know what caused the bronchitis: a busy day on Tuesday, air conditioning, high winds, open-air swimming ... any or all of these. It's getting better.
      Sue x

      Delete
  2. You look fab ! , shame your friend let you down though.
    Hope you are feeling a bit better now

    Izzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Izzy, it's sweet of you to say I look fab. I didn't feel it!

      Health improving, thanks.

      Sue x

      Delete