Friday 6 January 2023

Holidays coming to a close

 In quite a number of countries, January 6th is a public holiday, and it marks the end of the Christmas festivities. Here in Italy, a tatty if kindly witch called Befana brings kids little gifts. I've mentioned her before and here's my Befana doll who had chocolates hidden in her skirts. 


Well, I'm a big kid!

As mentioned before, I spent last week on one of my androgynous holidays where I feel it better, easier or safer to present as male despite being dressed in female clothes, albeit ones that have a unisex look. Only one of my friends there knows I am trans and has been hugely supportive and was complimentary about how I chose to dress.

There were ten of us in a large but spacious house in the town of Lorgues in the wine country of Provence in France. 

 

Lorgues

The weather was mild and sunny by day and it was nice to sit out, either at the many cafés and bars or in the sunny garden. 


The town is medieval with traces of city walls and gateways.


There are lots of monumental fountains.

And vineyards, albeit dormant in winter.

 

The colour of the houses reminds me of Liguria where I live, except here the shutters are traditionally dark green only, whereas in Provence they can be any colour as long as it contrasts with the walls. 

 


We enjoyed feeding the neighbours's chickens, who love cheese (who knew chickens like cheese?). They complained loudly when they'd eaten all the cheese and had nothing but healthy veggies left!

 


One morning we drove out along roads that wound up and around rocky outcrops, lined with olives, poplars, limes and vines, and arrived, amid tranquil beech woods, at the Abbey of Le Thoronet, built over 800 years ago, one of the best preserved complexes of medieval buildings anywhere. 



Windows through windows: looking into the cloister from the chapter house

The dormitory. The door at the far end leads straight into the church.

I calculate you can wash 15 monks at once here!

Wine press. It's not all work and prayer!
 

So it was a relaxing and welcome break in good company, with good food, too, and I felt very refreshed by it and energised to do more travelling in 2023 (assuming the world doesn't blow up or something - anything seems possible these days).


Nursie

I can't believe how many of my friends are sick. And I don't just mean colds or flu or even Covid (although there are several feeling very bad with that, I'm sad to report). One fighting prostate cancer and pneumonia simultaneously, another has myeloma, and another has a horrific thing called Fournier's gangrene (don't look it up unless you have a strong stomach). I'm so upset at all their pain and suffering.

It's hard to be nurse at this distance except by sending such cheerful messages as I can. Just to warn you, though: I learnt my nursing entirely from the Benny Hill Show, Doctor in the House and the Carry On Films, so I'd get well quick all of you if I were you!


Sue x

No comments:

Post a Comment