Monday 9 January 2023

Cute winter fashions

 It's the January sales and that perfect opportunity to buy stuff at reduced prices. Well, realistically, all the junk they couldn't shift before Christmas is reduced and the decent new lines are at full price. Pardon my cynicism, but we do go through this pantomime every year and often there's little that's worthwhile that's actually reduced. However, I'm pleased that I did get a bit off one item today. 

So I went to the shops and there were some rather nice new lines, including some lovely coloured and patterned satin blouses and an adorable short leather skirt and matching jacket in pink or white, in a rather 1960s style that seems to be very fashionable round the riviera this year (yay for supercute Sixties outfits!) Very tempting, but I would have to slim a lot to fit into those. 

I do love my casual styles - leggings usually, or a plain dress - but this sudden throwback to a more elegant age is lovely to see.

I almost bought a handbag and some cute black patent pumps, although if you want leather goods in these parts it's better to get them from a stall on market day. Better quality and lower prices than the shops. I decided to limit myself to two discreet silk blouses today and return to the shops for another rummage another day.

 

Slimming

Talking of slimming into skirts (or anything else for that matter), I have lost 2 kg (4 1/2 lb) in my first week of watching my weight. I'm pleased with that, especially as not everything went to plan. The Christmas excess is coming off!


City of Lemons

I went to Menton, a town on the French border with Italy. It has a brash seafront, a curious market house, some beautiful old streets and shops, pretty architecture and amazing views along the coast. Lemons are its main product as the climate is perfect for them, but there are many other types of citrus tree, too.

I also went there as to find the tomb of William Webb Ellis who is credited with having defined the game of rugby football. As a former resident of Twickenham, I felt it would be appropriate to climb up the hill to the castle cemetery to see his resting place in this bicentennial year of the game.

Here's a typical stepped street of pastel-coloured houses so characteristic of this coast:

 

It's a steep climb to the magnificent church:

The view along the coast is stunning. In the centre of the photo, the yawning chasm in the mountain marks the border with Italy.


I'd never seen a grapefruit tree before:


The tomb, with tributes!


 

A dip in the archives

I was a bit cynical about January sales at the start of this post, so here's a look back to 2012 when I had a successful rummage in the racks and enjoyed a good evening afterwards:

First Outing of the Year


Sue x

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos, Sue. Did you pick a grapefruit?

    "...we do go through this pantomime every year..."

    Usually followed by a rush of white & navy coloured items and Capsule Holiday Wardrobe articles in Feb/March.

    PS: Behind you! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your amusing comments, Lynn. Glad you liked the photos. The ripe fruits on the ground had already been breakfasted on by other critters and since I don't actually like grapefruit enough I was happy to leave the remaining fruits to anyone who likes them better, be they people or wasps! Sue x

      Delete