Friday 23 June 2023

Nice friends, maybe allies

 I had a lovely time with my two female friends who came to stay. But now that the English-speaking world has suddenly started having the trans community as its bogeyman, it's not as easy to come out now as it used to be, as my last post illustrated. (Thanks, incidentally, to Calie at T-Central for featuring that post on her site.) So I hid my trans-related stuff away. And there was a lot to hide - it took hours. This is not something I do very often these days, especially in my own home, but I felt it wise.

So how did it go? Well, we swam at the beach and the swimming pool, caught the sun, saw the sights in town and, above all, ate lots of the fresh fish we have here. Oh, and they liked the aperitifs, too! They refused to allow me to pay my share and so I am now full of free fish and wine, like some fat mermaid!

We had a lot of catching up to do since I hadn't seen them for about five years (thanks, Brexit! thanks, Covid!). When one casually mentioned that she had been to Brighton Pride and found it such fun, and we agreed that to live in Brighton you had to be a bit alternative. She was glad that LGBT+ people had a safe space there and seemed to be a majority in the town, then I felt that maybe we have an ally in her. I also mentioned that previous guests of mine had included a gay couple, which didn't raise much apparent consternation. 

Given my past experience, though, I won't test the idea of recruiting her as an ally for myself as I don't feel I would gain enough benefit. But it's good to see that another person is, in principle, on board with the notion of people being LGBT+. The other friend I'm less sure about.

Anyway, the experience was positive and although I had to act the male, the pleasant company made that tolerable.

 

Hot

It's full-on summer now and was 30C (86F) in the shade today so I am likely to stay put for the next 2-3 months and top up my tan. Warm sunshine does me more good than anything else.


A dip in the archives

I came across another old photo, a souvenir of great times ten years ago when I went to Camden Markets with friends. You can read about it here: Looking Ahead to Summer

 

That was such a fun time in my life when I just came and went en femme as I pleased.

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. I hope you manage to keep cool and out of the heat of the sun. Certainly a good time to get in the pool wherever you can.

    A report came out this week about the state of discrimination towards LGBTQ+ in the UK. Understandably, it's not easy reading and, date I say, doesn't tell us anything we in the community don't already know. I guess the main things are the statistics and how badly the UK has slipped down the rankings for tolerance and rights. It's a poor do by all accounts. FWIW, I completely understand your decision about keeping Mum (or Sue, in this case).

    Lovely photo of you from the archives.

    Oh, and an old joke: my grandad has aperitif (a pair eh teef). He puts them in before meal times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Lynn. And for the joke. Yes, it's certainly hot here - 32C yesterday - and the pool was so refreshing!

      I haven't resided in the UK for five years now so my knowledge of LBGT life there is by hearsay and I am sorry that an official report now corroborates what everyone is saying informally. Most people are supportive of LGBT folk so the rise of the minority of transphobes is linked to the social, economic and political chaos of post-Brexit-vote Britain and the opportunism of bullies who thrive in such environments. Innate social, structural and constitutional problems that have been building increasingly fast over the last 100 years are going to take a lot to fix. When they are, then Britain could be an ideal place for trans people. After all, Brits already have an inherent love of individualism, harmless eccentricity and self-expression so there's already an encouraging, accepting place in British society for LGBT life.

      Sue x

      Delete
  2. Free food and wine, sounds lovely ! Not so much the 30C heat , although I think it hit 28 in my kitchen yesterday.
    I guess it's nice for swimming though - not been to the seaside yet this year, I will next month though.

    I have stopped reading the news, it's far too depressing at the moment. I should probably pay more attention.

    Love the photo, you look so happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Isobel.

      I don't blame you as regards the news. The world we have known since 1945 is over and I'm not sure what is replacing it, apart from gangsters playing at politicians.

      The photo was from the good old days and, yes, I was very happy back then, just living my trans life freely.

      Sue x

      Delete