Friday 30 June 2023

Hitchcockian suspense

 I have been trying to write a post about girl stuff but the last few days have brought an invasion of seagulls into my life.

Yes, you read that right. The man next door has seagulls nesting on his roof. He is also doing building work. I don't have seagulls on my roof because I have had anti-bird wires put there. I hope he might do the same but, since he's a politician, he's all gas and no competence.

Last week, one seagull chick (I use the word advisedly - it's huge, with a wingspan of at least three feet) jumped off my neighbour's roof onto his front terrace but couldn't seem to take the leap of faith needed to fly, despite the manhandling and coaxing of one of my friends staying with me. (Don't worry, she works with animals; usually horses, but as this gull was almost as big as a horse, I guess it falls within her competence). Eventually, though, it disappeared, presumably having finally soared to glory ...or else having left a seagull-shaped hole in the lawn below.

On Tuesday, another one appeared but chose to hop through the gap that my neighbour's building works have left in the divider between our two properties and waddle all over my terrace. Once it had started to kick my plant pots about, I shooed it back (not after it had taken a tour of the living room!) and it spent the rest of the day disconsolately pacing up and down next door hoping its mum would come and sort its life out. She did return late in the afternoon and this seemed to provide some reassurance, and next door's builder left a pot of water out for it (which it kicked over!)


 

Later in the evening I went to water the plants on the back terrace and behold! another chick was there. How did it get there? And why was it pecking at the door trying to get in? (Maybe it just wanted to watch the football on my TV or something.) Was it the same one as before that, somehow, had hopped over the building? Creepy mysteries, my friends and I began to feel like I had birds raining down on me like Tippi Hedren in Hitchcock's film The Birds, only these birds are fat and dopey. More like how the Three Stooges would've made a movie about sinister birds (titled Them Dumb Boids or similar). This last pest of a bird was clumping about all night.

This morning all chicks have gone, only the mess remains to clean up. Fortunately, the increasing heat of the last few days has now led to a thunderstorm and I'm hoping this will do most of the work.

So that's my excuse for not writing about Pride or makeup or trans life, I've been living a weird aerial nightmare. And it's been a week of sorting out telephones and tax forms. Yeah, even TGirls have practical stuff to do; it's not all glamour, you know.


Pride month

A brief word as Pride Month comes to an end. There's a lot of pushing against us by the more extreme ends of the political spectrum but here in Italy, for instance, various Pride events have brought out strong support. I feel the bullies are not going to win however focused their anti-LGBT campaigns might be becoming.

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Seagulls and certain politicians 🤔 Often unwelcome, noisy, they leave a mess behind, and they rarely improve a trip to the seaside.

    Meanwhile, for us rural landlubbers, it's the cooking of wood pigeons that can get out of hand.

    Oddly, they're quiet after the owls wake-up in the early evening 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, there ought to be a law against politicians!
      Wood pigeons cooing down a chimney is a uniquely irritating noise. Try it sometime!
      Sue x

      Delete
  2. Hello Sue,
    That is a mass - I hate seagulls when they invade a ship or the beach. Hopefully they did not leave to much dirt even after the thunderstorm.
    Pride month is over - here, where I live was not very much that related to this. But the things that happen over there in the republican dominated states make me angry. I hope that it will calm down.
    All the best and thanks for stopping by at my blog.
    Violetta
    https://violettaarden9.blogspot.com/2023/07/wieder-am-berg-und-u30-blogparade.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Violetta.
      Your blog is amazing with so many fantastic photos. I need to improve the photo content of my blog.
      The storm didn't do as much cleaning as I had hoped so I have to go out now with a brush and detergent.
      The situation in the United States does affect us all, sadly, as that country is too important to ignore. But I am hopeful that this madness is not a long-term thing.
      Sue x

      Delete