Monday 12 July 2021

Sparkle: a tribute

 Sparkle is the UK's national transgender celebration, always in Manchester on the second weekend of July. It's become more of an international celebration, in fact, with many people coming specially for it from abroad. I've known friends from Hungary, Norway, Austria and Ireland attend. But last year and this year it had to be cancelled because of the pandemic. I know that some girls did a "Non-Sparkle" in Manchester anyway and I hope they were able to have fun. I believe there's a virtual event and I dare say highlights will be available online. Here's the website: Sparkle 2021 website

Sparkle began in 2003 as a day-event. The next year it became a weekend. When I first went in 2010 there were, I'm told, 1500 people there. By 2015, as many as 10000 attended. It's been a huge success and a great event for trans people and their families to meet and have a good time. It soon became the highlight of my year. Knowing what it takes to organise these things, a big tribute must go to those who founded and grew this event. Thank you for all the fun.

 

I hope it can go ahead next year.


A dip in the archives

So the Sparkle weekend ten years ago during my first major Femmathon, as I called my period living full-time female, was one of the best times I've ever had in my life.

In my last posts I said how Emma and I had enjoyed a few days together in London with trips to other cities. The journey to Manchester was long but saw us in the city on the Thursday afternoon when other attendees were already gathering. We had dinner in Eden's, which I've always quite liked as a venue.

Texting in Eden's

Sparkle Friday is when it all starts to get going and the first organised events begin. I had attended most of the official events the previous year as a newbie so this year I made it more spontaneous, although the official welcome party at REM in the afternoon was something to redo, as a chaperone for new girls who were nervous.

My pretty summer frock for Friday afternoon

It was great to meet up with old friends like Wilhelmina and Maddy and meet new ones. I always try to get to know two or three new people when I attend a big event.

The main day is, of course, Saturday with all the big entertainments in Sackville Gardens ("Sparkle in the Park"), as well as Canal Street and the Gay Village. It was so lively all day and, as I mentioned regarding the previous year's Sparkle, I felt I was where I really belonged. 

I had arranged a big lunch at Villaggio's restaurant in Canal St for the UK Angels and was delighted to have 16 people there. 

Angels Lunch 2011. Photo by Hazel. At my table are Ange, Chrystal, Tina, Holly and Amanda. Beyond, Michelle, Amy, Maddy, Emma and several partners. Wilhelmina had to leave early.


I spent the afternoon in the Park, which is a great place to bump into people and catch up, including friends like Maria and Joanne whom I'd met the previous year. 

Sparkle in the Park with Joanne. Photo by Sheila Blige.

There's a stage with bands, various acts and shows; stalls selling clothes, jewellery, wigs and makeup; stands and representatives for various organisations; refreshment stalls; and so on. And although Manchester is almost synonymous with rain, this year (and every other year I've attended) was sunny and dry.

Sparkle Sunday turned out to be the best day, even though the official events were winding down by this point. It's fun just to sit out at a table on Canal Street and flag friends down to join you. The drink of choice at Sparkle is strawberry cider with its rich pink colour and outdoors on a hot day this goes down very well. 

As I had in the previous year, I went with Joanne and Zazoo to the official meal in Manchester's "Curry Mile". I've always felt it important for TGirls to expand their comfort zone and move out of the 'safe' clubs and gay areas and into the real world. So we had a sit-down Indian meal, followed by ice cream from one of the nearby shops.

I confess that I've forgotten some of the chronology at this distance in time - a drink in a pub with Paula, dancing in Napoleon's and in other clubs, and a champagne breakfast ... I enjoyed every moment.

Relaxing in the hotel

It's a great event. You can attend the official entertainments or just enjoy the venues of the Gay Village with your friends. That year the Equalities Minister addressed the event and, although her speech was not profound, her attendance marked an important boost for the profile of the trans community ... it's a pity things have changed for the worse since then.

It's always sad to return home afterwards but I still had another full week of fem time left. More on that next time.

Sue x

 

Cari lettori italiani

Non so se c'è un evento nazionale in Italia per persone transgender. Ma l'evento annuale che descrivo oggi è speciale. Divertente ma anche molto d'aiuto. Da origini modeste è diventato molto grosso. Peccato che quest'anno come l'anno scorso hanno dovuto abbandonarlo.

Sue x

 


No comments:

Post a Comment