Thursday 15 July 2021

The Femmathon concluded: everyday life

"I suspect that no-one who isn't trans understands the complete satisfaction of doing normal stuff in one's real gender. It's the banality that's actually the peak of feeling complete."

This is what I wrote in 2017 about the satisfaction of shopping as a woman (The Joy of Shops).

In the last two weeks I've been talking about the period when I tested the waters of living full-time female. Going out on day trips and visiting trans festivals, as I've described, is great fun but it's not the everyday, humdrum life that living in one's right gender entails. Indeed, because many trans people's opportunities to go out dressed may be limited at first and so quite special, there's often a party feel to a lot of the trans-based activities we do, and that can give trans people a false sense that transitioning to the right gender will be a whole bunch of partying. It isn't: life is life, and partying is actually a treat.

So after my week with Emma and friends, I mainly got down to buying groceries in my local high street and staying mainly in the neighbourhood. I was still wary of the neighbours seeing me as I left the house, but generally it felt natural and right to be living as a woman, just getting on with my own life and feeling really happy about it. 

I also spent a couple of days indoors, largely to give my face a rest from close shaving and makeup, neither of which do my skin any good. I may not look good when I'm not dolled up, but if there's no-one to see me, what does it matter?

Overall, the satisfaction of living full-time as myself for over a fortnight was incredible. Best time of my life. For the rest of summer 2011 I spent most of my time as Sue, apart from the 2-3 days a week I was at my part-time job or needed to see family or friends who didn't know about my being trans. And a similar pattern continued for another year or so, after which I began to feel that full transition wasn't right for me.

It's an approach I'd recommend. Take it slowly in small stages and consolidate as you go. 

 

A dip in the archives

There was one more fun day during this first Femmathon (or perhaps in the light of the above, Femmathon phase 1) and that was a trip to Kew Gardens with Petra and Joanne. A mix of science facility and pleasure ground, Kew was always a joy to visit and I took many friends there over the years. Indeed, I went back a couple of weeks after this, with Dee.

Petra, Joanne and myself enjoyed wandering through the grounds. We took a picnic lunch and spent most of the day there. Three trans women surrounded by flowers and greenery on a sunny day near the River Thames. That's got to be good.

By Kew Palace

Petra in front of the iconic Palm House

Girls in a bower

You've seen this one before but I've always liked it so you're having it again! The Queen's Garden, with two princesses.

Sue x


Cari lettori italiani

Oggi finisco questa serie sul mio primo periodo esteso come donna, dieci anni fa. Non sono mai stata così contenta che quando vivevo in questo modo, alzandomi ogni giorno e dicendomi "tu sei una donna e vivrai come la donna che sei". Era bellissimo.

Sue x


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pic.Wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have be living with Oral herpes for over 4 years now and it has be a big problem for me.I have been looking for solution because i can't leave with it, One day i came across a woman testimony on a forum saying she got cured of her Herpes with the help of Dr OBUDU an herbal doctor from African with herbal medicine. At first i did not believe because i was not sure herbs can really take this virus away,but i have no choice than to give it a try and contacted him with his emails, i explain my problems,.. then he told me not to worry that he will prepare the a cure with herbal mixture and send it to me, i got the medicine after 4 days delivery and i use as instructed. After 21 days when the herb got almost finish i went to a medical doctor, i did a test and discover that the virus was gone, and my test result were HSV 1%2 negative,i was so surprise and happy! then i wrote Dr OBUDU and thank him for getting me cured from herpes. I advice you to contact this great herbal doctor OBUDU as he have cure for different kinds of diseases.i decided to share this testimony to let others who also suffer from herpes know about this and give hope to others, you can reach him via Email drobuduherbalhome@gmail.com also https://drobuduherbalhome.wixsite.com/welcometoobuduherbal WhatsAPP number +2349023428871
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had comments about Dr Obudu (or Dr OBUDU) before. These comments are never relevant to the information I've posted and so I'll remind visitors that, although I welcome comments and do not choose to use an administrator filter, I do expect them to be relevant to the post. If you suffer from oral herpes (cold sores) then buy some cheap and simple Bonjela ointment from any chemist's. Sue x

    ReplyDelete