Saturday 22 July 2023

Barbiemania, better than Barbie, and barbecued

 I failed the audition for the Barbie movie; given the state of my eyebrows, maybe I should've auditioned for the Lassie movie instead. Woof!

It's definitely the case that women are dressing like Barbie right now. Not only is there this year's all-over pink look that I discussed at the start of the year but it's become definitely more 'little girl' over the last week or two. There are some embarrassed kids round town with mums who look more dolly than their own toys. I've no objection but don't out-little girl your little girl! 


Better than Barbie

I had hoped to post this yesterday but wasn't able to then. That's because yesterday was the tenth anniversary of this lovely day out in London when we got our best summer frocks on and posed on Waterloo Bridge, to the delight of passing tourists and traffic, and then sat demurely on a bench outside the nearby Savoy Hotel. A lovely reminder of great times. These girls look lovelier than any Barbie, don't they?

L-R: Stella, Linda, Stephanie, me, Rachel, Irene

L-R: Irene, Stephanie, Rachel, Linda, me

I'm still in touch with most of these girls. I hope to be back in London this coming October and hope to organise another of those London Ladies Who Lunch outings. We used to do so many of these and I miss them.


Barbecued

Well, the heatwave in the Mediterranean continues and shows no sign of letting up. I tolerate heat much better than I tolerate cold but this past week I've actually had trouble sleeping because the temperature at night is pretty much the same as by day. The sea is almost 28C (82F), which is tropical and is the same now as the famously warm Caribbean. This results in there being no cool evening breeze to mitigate the daytime air temperature, and in a proliferation of invasive species, too. I literally spend all day in my swimwear because wearing more is uncomfortable. 

More news from the barbie next time!

Sue x

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it's still effing baking. I think we've got your cool weather here - I had to put on a long sleeve the other day. Mind you, we've also had the odd monsoon, which while good for the posts, it's less than ideal when out walking. Still, saves on showering and washing clothes 😁

    A fine set of photos and good to hear about some of your happy memories. I wonder how many of the pink brigade will look back at summer 2023 so fondly 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hon.

      Great news - we have massive thunderstorms preparing. There may be hail the size of grapefruits, if the early signs are anything to go by. That'll be a relief! I had heard of the contrast in the UK this July!

      Life as TGirl used to be such fun. It was like we were all Barbie girls in a Barbie world (I heard that somewhere). Then things went downhill. It was like the Bratz took over!

      Sue x

      Delete
  2. Very nice pictures of your ladies excursion. It is always nice to have good memories - and therefor I love to make pictures so the moments will never pass. And I really don´t like Barbie and I will not dress up in pink all over - never. And thanks for your nice visit at my blog
    All the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Violetta. This craze for all-over pink clothes and for Barbie will pass and there'll be something totally different next year! Sue x

      Delete