Wednesday 24 April 2024

His and hers packing lists

 Thirty years ago I was engaged on a work project in Edinburgh and forgot to pack something vital. I can't remember what it was - a shirt or shoes or something - but it led to a last-minute panic buy. And ever since then I have made a packing list of things to put in my suitcase whenever I leave home.

Obviously, when I started going out en femme, the list became more elaborate, with his and hers items to be included (and a bigger suitcase to match). In the end, I felt confident enough just to pack my female wardrobe and leave his stuff behind altogether. Maybe I'll be able to get back to that one day, health and circumstances permitting, but I'm currently in mixed case mode again, although the change I have made in recent years is that none of my clothes now come from the men's racks, even if I can't present as fully female. I'd prefer to be female all the time but, as I said, health and circumstances are against me.

I live mainly in Italy now but still have a lot of items in Britain so I don't need to pack any skirts or dresses. I'm contemplating whether to buy new makeup in Britain and keep a separate selection for use there rather than lugging my makeup kit there in my suitcase, but makeup doesn't last and I may not get enough chance to use it up before it needs replacing. These things aren't cheap and have limited shelf life, especially things like mascara.

Anyway, my packing lists are always comprehensive and I just cross off items that won't be needed (Sahara? No need for the umbrella, then) and just note how many of each item I'll need before wash day. Some people say I'm too fastidious but I felt vindicated when a girlfriend of mine used to make fun of my lists and only pack her suitcase on the morning of travel, invariably forgetting something crucial. 

I have a complicated itinerary this time and there's a lot to consider, so I'm taking my time to plan and pack.

 

Weight loss

I continue to lose weight slowly. I set a target to lose 50 pounds (22.7 kilograms) by the end of April, i.e. by this time next week. So far I've lost 32 (14.5 kg) and I can see a real difference in my body now. Coupled with consuming zero coffee and very little alcohol and sugar, with careful daily attention to skincare, haircare, epilation and dental health, I think my physical health and wellbeing are improving all the time.

In my favourite London coffee shop, Vergnano's in the Charing Cross Road, in 2010. No more coffee for me from now on! Not to worry, though, as they do an outstanding hot chocolate.

 

Obviously, I won't be able to achieve my target of 50 pounds as planned but achieving even two thirds of that is excellent. It should be easier to get the rest off as summer weather encourages lighter eating and more outdoor activities, although countering that is the fact that the amount you lose each week diminishes the closer you get to a healthy weight. Let's see what happens. Going away now doesn't help because I'll lose some control over what I eat.

When in Britain I'll pick up some of my old summer dresses, the ones that were UK sizes 10-12 (US sizes 6-8) as a promise to myself to slim into them. Like this simple but cute little thing. I'm almost there again.

By the River Thames, London, July 2011. It's supposed to be summer!

Sue x

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting in shape and good luck with the packing.

    Where and when will you be in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. To find out where and when, you'll need to keep following Sue's News & Views! lol. I'll be in London, Chester, Durham, Scotland and Sussex. No visit to the East Midlands this time but plan to do so later in the year. Might even drop in on Nottingham Chams if I am able. You've been warned! Sue x

      Delete
    2. I'll look forward to reading about your travels and please keep me in the loop about Chams - just to make sure I'm not on holiday. That would be bad timing on my part 🩷

      Delete
  2. You are looking pretty good in your summer dress- hope it will fit you, when you are back in Britain. Maybe I should also make a packing list for the next travel....I tend to forget some things...
    Have a good travel and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete