My tour of Scotland en femme with my good friend Roz was a delight and I will write about that properly in due course. Scotland is famous for its wind and taking my brand new wig there was a bad idea! It needs serious care after being turned inside out.
I take Luggy the lugubrious LGBT Crab and Lizzy the Lesbian Lobster on my travels to spot any LGBT news. There was little to report, though. Luggy feels at home by the sea and sends greetings to all LGBT readers and allies.
I forgot how interesting the rail journey up the East Coast of Britain is, through beautiful cities: Peterborough and its Norman cathedral, Newark and its castle over the Trent, old York redolent with history, Newcastle and its spectacular collection of bridges, fortified Berwick and its mighty Royal Border Bridge, magnificent Edinburgh …
| The Royal Border Bridge over the river Tweed at Berwick, with train. When completed in 1850 this was the largest bridge in the world and still carries the railway between England and Scotland. |
I get as many comments on this blog about the food I’ve been eating as about the frocks I’ve been wearing, so recent meals have included classic staples like fish and chips (not bad, but we had to have haddock since cod is overfished) and that uniquely Scottish dish, haggis, with roast parsnips and mashed potato (what, no neeps?). I would like to single out the excellent and generous portion of shoulder of lamb with assorted roast vegetables in Berwick, just back across the border in England. That was a treat and genuinely local.
I hope to post properly again this weekend.
Sue x
No comments:
Post a Comment