Friday, 25 September 2026

A quick postcard from Scotland

     Quick greetings from Central Scotland where I have just spent the day in Perth. A pleasant town with a significant art gallery, a well-stocked local museum that houses the coronation stone (last used in 2023), a very Victorian cathedral, even an old house said to have been that of Walter Scott’s Fair Maid of Perth. She was fictitious but the Royal Scottish Geographical Society who now occupy the building are very real and very friendly and even showed me their rather cosy library with fire in the grate where polar explorer Ernest Shackleton once used to preside over meetings. 

    I’m off to Inverness this evening, capital of the Highlands.

    I did come here via London but having to deal with an insurance matter deleted my opportunity for a Sue day out shopping there. This is really annoying as that was one of the original reasons for planning this trip but I am getting quite a lot of financial compensation so that should enable me to book another trip soon. But there will be girly time in the Highlands over the weekend. It’s never possible to be sure what the weather will be like here in September so I have everything from a light skirt to a heavy coat ...and two suitcases to carry it all in!

From my last trip to Scotland, spring 2024


    It’s been a trip full of interesting food, too. Last night’s dinner of local Scottish dishes was one to remember: warm, home-made Scotch egg, beautifully tender venison with black pudding dumplings, and the most amazing chocolate mousse with honeycomb crunch, lemon balm and steeped amarena cherries. To finish, a foaming parma violet cocktail that was super delicious. 

    More when I have a quiet time to write. Have a nice weekend.

Sue xx

No comments:

Post a Comment