Monday 26 April 2021

A trip to the theatre, and more

 Continuing my reminiscences of the first year I was out and about as a woman, I recall this time ten years ago when Emma and her wife Jackie came to stay. We'd planned a weekend sightseeing, eating out and seeing a play.

It shows how comfortable we'd both become about getting on with life as women, compared to our tentative and somewhat comical first night out in London. Whereas that night is seared into my memory for ever, I'm less sure of the events on this occasion, but thanks to Emma's well-arranged photos, I've pieced together what we did.

We went up to London by train, which is a lot easier and cheaper than going by car.

We met Joanne and Irene for lunch at Prix Fixe French brasserie in Soho.


Our main event of the day was a trip to the New London Theatre to see one of the most acclaimed shows of the time, War Horse, the adventures of a Devon plough horse sent to the front in World War I. Based on the novel by Michael Morpurgo, the story was also made into a film by Stevan Spielberg. 

It was excellent, with life-sized articulated puppets for the animals and a vorticist style for the backdrops. (Here are the Wiki entries on the play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Horse_(play) and on Vorticism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorticism). 

Horse puppet and human actors

Example of vorticist art of the WWI era that inspired the artwork on stage. This is "Dazzle Ships in Dry Dock at Liverpool" by Edward Wadsworth (1919)
 

Interval refreshments

That evening we had dinner at one of my favourite venues, Sarastro in Drury Lane that has featured many times in this blog.


The next day we went sightseeing. 

Lunch was at another favourite venue (now sadly closed), Bistro 1 in Brewer Street.

 

In my last blog post I wrote about nostalgia for London and included some photos. Well, here are some more from a sunny afternoon in and around St James's Park.

They also prove that we do get exercise and don't just sit around eating!


 

 

As I said, it was now great to feel as comfortable as this out in public.
The main point of my blog has always been to encourage others to live their trans lives happily so I'm glad to have had this chance to add to that aim.

Thanks to Emma and Jackie for another good weekend. I'd especially like to thank Jackie for her support for trans people and for coming out with us. 

Emma and I were to have a fantastic week together in July that year, and you can read about that in due time.


A dip in the archives

By way of complete contrast, a year after this I spent the last weekend of April in Blackpool and wrote about the Funny Girls show. Here's a link to the entry with the photos from this exuberant show:  

Funny Girls photos

 

Sue x

 

Cari lettori italiani

Secondo me, si apre troppo presto. Non mi fido di questo virus. 

Nelle ultime settimane mi sono messo a guardare vecchie foto dei miei giorni a Londra. Oggi racconto di un paio di giorni dieci anni fa quando la mia amica Emma è venuta a trovarmi con sua moglie e siamo stati al teatro e in giro per la città.

Sue x



No comments:

Post a Comment